Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Upgrade

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
Hey Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my RAM to 32gb but I want some advice first,

I am currently running a maximus VII Formula and am looking at two different RAM Kits

The first is Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz

The Second is Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz

The vengeance pro is $100 cheaper however the speeds are better on the dominator platinum.

So my questions are this:

Will I notice the difference between the two different RAM kits?

Will my computer have any troubles with either of these kits?

Take into account I am a gamer and an IT professional so my computer use is far above an average user.

Thanks in advance guys
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
I need to make a slight change to this in that I didn't realise that the Dominator Platinum I was looking at is DDR4 so that's ruled out.

So that leaves me with http://www.mwave.com.au/product/corsair-vengeance-pro-32gb-4x-8gb-ddr3-2400mhz-red-memory-cmy32gx3m4...

compared to the G.Skill, now until now I have been firmly Corsair (Just out of personal preference really I can't think of anything I have against G.Skill)

The timings on the corsair sticks are slightly faster

However a problem I hadn't anticipated which may cause me issues is lack of stock. None of my suppliers seem to have either kit in stock.

So based on stock levels this raises another question, currently I run Corsair Dominator GT 2133 16gb

Would I notice much of a difference if I went for more ram (32gb) at a slower speed?

Nate152
Unless you use programs that use more than 16GB of ram you won't notice any performance gains but you may score higher in benchmarks.

Here are some gaming benchmarks with 16GB and 32GB of ram.

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
It's not so much benchmarks but I'm sitting at 80% of my ram without a game running, due to a multitude of browser windows and other programs I have running which is why I'm looking at upgrading

However I am wondering how much of a difference the frequency and timings of the RAM will make

While it's possible to keep the browser tabs and programs I run to a minimum however I prefer to keep things open that I access on a regular basis rather than opening them up again each time.

Nate152
32GB would allow you to do more and it seems you're quite the multitasker. 🙂

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
Yeah I am lol unfortunately that works to the detriment of my wallet 😞

The other problem with this is that I want to do a DDR4 upgrade in the next 12 months. Unfortunately that's not on the cards for at least 6 months due to monetary issues.

Nate152
You have a high performance rig right now but.....

Cannonlake and Pascal is coming very soon, would be a nice upgrade to what you have.

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
Oh indeed, unfortunately my poor wallet is already sobbing at the thought XD Time to start saving lol

Nate152