cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Battery Issues

loransel
Level 7
I bought this G751JY in December last year, and it's been a treat to own up until recently.

A couple of weeks ago the battery starting flickering between charging and plugged in, before eventually settling on "not plugged in" and draining the battery to 0%.
It would then start charging again after a little while.

Now it's started to drop the AC power as soon as I load any performance demanding game. Notably, Dark Souls 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc etc.

The cable itself is fine, as I've checked with the cable from my old G751JY that I accidentally spilled tea on and had to replace.

It's obviously a battery problem, but is it just dead? Do I need to send it in for a replacement? Would the computer even work if I just removed the battery, since I never
let it run on battery power anyways?

Currently on 7% battery after an hour of playing Dark Souls 3 despite it being plugged in the entire time

Regards
-
5 REPLIES 5

pavankoya
Level 7
loransel wrote:
I bought this G751JY in December last year, and it's been a treat to own up until recently.

A couple of weeks ago the battery starting flickering between charging and plugged in, before eventually settling on "not plugged in" and draining the battery to 0%.
It would then start charging again after a little while.

Now it's started to drop the AC power as soon as I load any performance demanding game. Notably, Dark Souls 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc etc.

The cable itself is fine, as I've checked with the cable from my old G751JY that I accidentally spilled tea on and had to replace.

It's obviously a battery problem, but is it just dead? Do I need to send it in for a replacement? Would the computer even work if I just removed the battery, since I never
let it run on battery power anyways?

Currently on 7% battery after an hour of playing Dark Souls 3 despite it being plugged in the entire time

Regards
-

I had to replace the battery. Worked fine for an year and Half. And then Battery not holding charge. Checked the battery usage report . Clearly shows Battery not charging.
Missed to take the extended warranty. i didnt want to use it like a desktop . Shipped it to Authorized ASUS repair center and replaced the battery.
cost for the replacement is 212$ which includes replaced battery, labor charges and shipping. I will be getting it tomorrow.
Hope they put in a new battery. 😞

one mistake i did was to use it always plugged in right from when i bought it . This time will not let it go past 80% and less then 40% . Only time will tell how long the new one will hold charge.

Hoping for the best .

Priior to that ,I did call ASUS directly and they gave a quote for 800$+. Seems they wont give the quote only for battery. The 800 is inclusive of the motherboard and stuff.
Because they dont know if other things may go bad when replacing the battery,which is dumbest answer i got. Dont they have the expertise to replace a battery?

warryabel
Level 7
the only thing they want is our money...

warryabel wrote:
the only thing they want is our money...

Definitely.$$$

Could not wait for the UPS guy to deliver . Called up UPS . Put a HOld on the package and picked it up at 8:00am 🙂

NO Damages to package :D. No dings or scratches or Damages to the laptop as well . Looks like it hasnt been opened at all 😄 .Very Happy!!

Lappy working with Battery. Was at 100% right out of the box. Did few Graphic card updates and left it turned on for like may b an hr before i had to run to work.
Batterry dropped to 60%.

Thts quite a drop i guess?? Not sure if it will improve overtime with charging cycles.

JustinThyme
Level 13
These are not Nicad batteries. They are lithium polymer. They do not need to be cycled, every cycle actually depletes the life span. An hour on battery and drop to 60% is not unexpected. Even not loaded these machines are power hungry. Run it at full load and it will be to zero inside of 45 minutes.
There obviously was battery vending issues with the G751 series. Haven't seen problems with replacements or with the G752 series yet.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
These are not Nicad batteries. They are lithium polymer. They do not need to be cycled, every cycle actually depletes the life span. An hour on battery and drop to 60% is not unexpected. Even not loaded these machines are power hungry. Run it at full load and it will be to zero inside of 45 minutes.
There obviously was battery vending issues with the G751 series. Haven't seen problems with replacements or with the G752 series yet.

Jst realized the 100% Battery right out of the box was after a two day shipping from UPS..Well 1.5 day to be exact since i picked it up early. Nice!.