cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get digital 5.1 S/PDIF out on a G752VT ?

Slick8791
Level 7
I’d like to hook up a very old Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 speaker system to a G752VT. The manual says that the headphone jack is also a S/PDIF output.

The RealTek HD audio software indicates that a 5.1 speaker system can be selected. My 5.1 speaker system only has a AC3/RCA jack for Dolby digital input and two regular headphone mini jacks for 2-front and 2-rear analog speakers. The front speakers only work with the laptop using the headphone jack. The RealTek HD software won't recognize the rear speaks plugged into the microphone jack (it thinks they are the center speaker). I tried using a $5 adapter to turn the AC3 SPDIF RCA cable into a mini plug but it didn’t work. But, I don't know if the cable doesn't work right or if its only sending a 2 channel output signal.

Will the laptop only support 2-channel output? Do I need a special digital cable to plug in to the laptop and into a separate digital converter box that the speakers would plug into?

I’m trying to understand what external pieces I need (cables, converters, etc.) if it will work at all.
23 REPLIES 23

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Not sure if you will be able to connect it to your current 5.1 speakers, but for the G752VT suggest trying a Toslink digital optical SPDIF cable if you want to use SPDIF with that notebook.

Should not be very difficult to find, but below is a link from Amazon if you're interested.
http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Toslink-Digital-Connectors-Strain-Relief/dp/B00T8HWV62/ref=sr_1_3?s=e...

Hopefully others can confirm it works too.

kidfromhell
Level 9
Slick8791 wrote:
I’d like to hook up a very old Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 speaker system to a G752VT. The manual says that the headphone jack is also a S/PDIF output.

The RealTek HD audio software indicates that a 5.1 speaker system can be selected. My 5.1 speaker system only has a AC3/RCA jack for Dolby digital input and two regular headphone mini jacks for 2-front and 2-rear analog speakers. The front speakers only work with the laptop using the headphone jack. The RealTek HD software won't recognize the rear speaks plugged into the microphone jack (it thinks they are the center speaker). I tried using a $5 adapter to turn the AC3 SPDIF RCA cable into a mini plug but it didn’t work. But, I don't know if the cable doesn't work right or if its only sending a 2 channel output signal.

Will the laptop only support 2-channel output? Do I need a special digital cable to plug in to the laptop and into a separate digital converter box that the speakers would plug into?

I’m trying to understand what external pieces I need (cables, converters, etc.) if it will work at all.

All you need is a TOSLINK cable. The one metioned above by clA is perfect. But, I tried googling about this and I found that there are couple of models around. If you could let us know the EXACT model number (like DTT 3500 etc.), I can guide you towards buying the proper cable for this.

Also, YES the headphone jack also doubles as a S/PDIF port. All you need is the right cable/adapter for the realtek chip to identify the 5.1speakers.

kidfromhell wrote:
All you need is a TOSLINK cable. The one metioned above by clA is perfect. But, I tried googling about this and I found that there are couple of models around. If you could let us know the EXACT model number (like DTT 3500 etc.), I can guide you towards buying the proper cable for this.

Also, YES the headphone jack also doubles as a S/PDIF port. All you need is the right cable/adapter for the realtek chip to identify the 5.1speakers.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :cool:

I purchased a G752VT-DH72 from Amazon.com but I'm not sure if that's the exact model number you're asking for. Please let me know if you need more info on that in order to help me out...?

PS Since my 5.1 amplifier control box doesn't have the optical digital input, I guess I'll need something like one of these converter boxes so I can plug the speakers in to it...right?

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-JTD-DA-5-1-Analog-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00NWYJQ9W/ref=sr_1_5?s=...

Slick8791 wrote:

I purchased a G752VT-DH72 from Amazon.com but I'm not sure if that's the exact model number you're asking for. Please let me know if you need more info on that in order to help me out...?

PS Since my 5.1 amplifier control box doesn't have the optical digital input, I guess I'll need something like one of these converter boxes so I can plug the speakers in to it...right?

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-JTD-DA-5-1-Analog-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00NWYJQ9W/ref=sr_1_5?s=...

I was asking about the model number for your home theater system. Looks like there's a couple with the same name, so I guess it would be good if you could give me the exact model number. I even found a one (see my previous response), but I don't know if that's the one you have.

kidfromhell wrote:
I was asking about the model number for your home theater system. Looks like there's a couple with the same name, so I guess it would be good if you could give me the exact model number. I even found a one (see my previous response), but I don't know if that's the one you have.

Sorry about that...its a very old Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 system (white) with model number CSW3000. I think its over 15 years old. It only has a coax RCA type jack for the digital in.

I found a link that shows the wiring diagram: http://a2.img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/322/122322_081222100648_SoundworksFull.jpg

Slick8791 wrote:
Sorry about that...its a very old Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 system (white) with model number CSW3000. I think its over 15 years old. It only has a coax RCA type jack for the digital in.

I found a link that shows the wiring diagram: http://a2.img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/upload/user_images/322/122322_081222100648_SoundworksFull.jpg

From the pictures I saw Googling, looks like its a Digital Coax Input. So you need a Coax to RCA (you were right) cable to hook it up.

This is the one you're looking for: http://www.amazon.com/L21-Digital-Coaxial-Connector-Players/dp/B019OWCID6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=146...

You're welcome!

kidfromhell wrote:
From the pictures I saw Googling, looks like its a Digital Coax Input. So you need a Coax to RCA (you were right) cable to hook it up.

This is the one you're looking for: http://www.amazon.com/L21-Digital-Coaxial-Connector-Players/dp/B019OWCID6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=146...

You're welcome!

I ordered that cable and I should have it on Friday. Thanks again for the help!

Slick8791 wrote:
I ordered that cable and I should have it on Friday. Thanks again for the help!

It won't work if I read correctly
the o/p of G752VT is optical S/PDIF, the I/P of microphone is electrical S/PDIF.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
cdma2k wrote:
It won't work if I read correctly
the o/p of G752VT is optical S/PDIF, the I/P of microphone is electrical S/PDIF.

Yes, was going to say the same thing, but the Toslink optical cable was discussed in the earlier posts, so believe they are aware that the G752VT only has optical SPDIF output and their other post #4 copied below mentioned a converter box, so that other cable may be for the converter box to the speakers?
Not all that familiar with the converter box myself, so someone may want to help confirm this, but if you didn't see the 'converter box' link copied below, it appears to be able to convert optical to electrical signals? Thanks.

Slick8791 wrote: