Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

I've always seen red light emitted from an optical SPDIF output. Which on the SPDIF/headphone output I do not see a light. Does the light only come on when 5.1 or toslink cable is detected? or is it a setting that has to be turned on? Im just curious really.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160511_124736.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	57340
    ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
    SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K
    RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72
    RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71
    RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

ROG Enthusiast Array

That looks like its a MINI TOSLink connector. looks like a headphone jack but it aint. more than likely, it will sense the cable has been inserted and switch itself on.

Mini TOSLink cables from amazon

Mini TosLINK WIKI
    Desktop:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
    RAM: 32gb Ballistix 1866 DDR3
    Chip: Intel Core i7 4770k OC'd Stable 4.8ghz
    Water Cooling: Corsair H110i
    Power: Corsair 1200i
    Video: Asus STRIX OC'd GTX 980
    Primary Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Pro 256gb SSD
    55" Vizio HD display
    Audio: Logitech Z5500
    File Server: Dell Poweredge r710 1.3TB Hard Drive Storage 128gb RAM
    Storage SAN #1: Dell Equallogic PS100e 14x 750gb SATA
    Storage SAN #2: Dell Equallogic PS5000V 16x 1TB SaS

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Yes, was going to say the same thing, but the Toslink optical cable was discussed in the earlier posts, so believe they are aware that the G752VT only has optical SPDIF output and their other post #4 copied below mentioned a converter box, so that other cable may be for the converter box to the speakers?
    Not all that familiar with the converter box myself, so someone may want to help confirm this, but if you didn't see the 'converter box' link copied below, it appears to be able to convert optical to electrical signals? Thanks.

I'll post an update when the cable arrived today to confirm if it worked or not. Question, just exactly how does someone figure out that the S/PDIF headphone output is "optical" on the G752VT...? The manual and laptop specs only mention that its a S/PDIF output. For something that is as simple as plugging in a wire, it sure does seem overly complicated to pull off successfully.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by cdma2k View Post
    It won't work if I read correctly
    the o/p of G752VT is optical S/PDIF, the I/P of microphone is electrical S/PDIF.
    You were correct. The coaxial cable did not work.

Plan B, get the other optical cable and a converter box.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Slick8791 View Post
    You were correct. The coaxial cable did not work.

Plan B, get the other optical cable and a converter box.

UPDATE: I bought the other optical toslink cable mentioned earlier and the converter box, but they did not work. The laptop didn't recognize the toslink cable at all and the plug fit didn't seem to fit as well as a headphone jack would...any other ideas?
    Last edited by Slick8791; 05-20-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Super Moderator Array

If you haven't already, just wanted to make sure you checked the Windows Playback devices for your notebook and set the Realtek Digital output as the default device (it should have a green checkmark instead of the speakers).
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 05-21-2016 at 12:37 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

If you haven't already, just wanted to make sure you checked the Windows Playback devices for your notebook and set the Realtek Digital output as the default device (it should have a green checkmark instead of the speakers).
    yes and make sure it is in 5.1 mode
    Last edited by cdma2k; 05-21-2016 at 02:40 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I did try and switch the default settings over to the Realtek Digital output and I was able to get very faint test sounds out of the left and right speakers (using the toslink cable and converter box). But, that’s about as far as I was able to get with it.

I think I’ll do a hasty retreat from this little project. I spent close to $50 on the cables and converter box. I figured I can return those for a refund and put a little bit more cash into it and get a new set of speakers that will work with the three mini plugs on the laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surro...puter+speakers

Work smarter, not harder…

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by Slick8791 View Post
    I think I’ll do a hasty retreat from this little project. I spent close to $50 on the cables and converter box. I figured I can return those for a refund and put a little bit more cash into it and get a new set of speakers that will work with the three mini plugs on the laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surro...puter+speakers
    We may want to see what others think since I don't fool around with this stuff too much myself, but I don't see any optical/Toslink inputs for those speakers in the link above, so wanted to make sure everyone agrees it's really a good idea.

If you want to get 5.1 output from the notebook, you're going to need to use the optical digital output as far as I know and just wanted to make sure you're aware of this or discuss more with others who know more about it first.
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 05-23-2016 at 09:22 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

We may want to see what others think since I don't fool around with this stuff too much myself, but I don't see any optical/Toslink inputs for those speakers in the link above, so wanted to make sure everyone agrees it's really a good idea.

If you want to get 5.1 output from the notebook, you're going to need to use the optical digital output as far as I know and just wanted to make sure you're aware of this or discuss more with others who know more about it first.
    That's what I was assuming would be the case. That set of speakers I linked would in essence send two front, two rear, and center speaker output (not S/PDIF).

Another question, what is the output for most games these days? Do they send 5.1 signal via S/PDIF, or is it mostly a 2.1 signal with simulated surround sound?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast