cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definitive Answer on System Restore Media for G752VY

tbretz
Level 7
Greetings,

I just bought a new G752VY from Newegg. It is running Win10. I have installed no software on it, nor have I made any significant changes to the User interface.

I have been unable to locate any information on how to create restore media. I understand that you can restore the system with the F9 method. However, I would like to have separate, external media. I have read multiple threads and articles, and have been unable to determine what to do. I understand that recovery disks are largely a thing of the past, but that the OS framework can be stored on removable media, and the C:\ drive restored from there.

I bought a 32gb flash drive, because this is the figure I had seen used in some of the threads I have read. I also have a WD Passport I could use for this purpose, if necessary.

I chased down info on Asus Backtracker, but that appears to be only for Windows 8 and 8,1
Another document I viewed on the Asus website showed a backup software called Total Recovery Pro, with the implication that it was installed on the G752. It is not. I found it online, but I am loathe to install any new software before I can back up the original OS.
I tried using an external-boot version of Acronis to back-up the C:\ drive, but the results were not satisfactory.

In another thread on this forum, a User (JustinThyme) described purchasing an additional Samsung 950 SSD and using the Samsung software to clone the original drive to it. This is something I would consider, but I am still in pursuit of a method of keeping the restore files on removable media, for the purpose of restoring the laptop to "just-out-of-the-box" condition.

I would appreciate any guidance in this matter, because I am about out of ideas, but I want to get this resolved.

--
TAB
Very New Forum User
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
As Ive mentioned the first thing I always do it clone the drive to a new drive then take the original out and put it away for safe keeping for a few reasons. I will always have the original image and popping the drive back in puts me back to square one and if I ever need to send it in for service I can pop that drive back in and send it off. I recently went one step further made an ISO with Acronis true image to store on my NAS.

Other than that I use Acronis True image to do incremental back up every two weeks of only my C:\ to my NAS.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

>
JustinThyme wrote:
As Ive mentioned the first thing I always do it clone the drive to a new drive then take the original out and put it away for safe keeping <

OK, so I have ordered the 950 EVO so I can clone the original and stash it. I also invested in Acronis 2016. Can you give me some idea of how to clone the original C:\ drive without installing anything to it? Will the external boot version of Acronis allow this? Or do I install Acronis, clone the original drive, then so an F9 restore for a factory version?

Your help is welcomed and appreciated.

--
TAB

tbretz wrote:
>
JustinThyme wrote:
As Ive mentioned the first thing I always do it clone the drive to a new drive then take the original out and put it away for safe keeping <

OK, so I have ordered the 950 EVO so I can clone the original and stash it. I also invested in Acronis 2016. Can you give me some idea of how to clone the original C:\ drive without installing anything to it? Will the external boot version of Acronis allow this? Or do I install Acronis, clone the original drive, then so an F9 restore for a factory version?

Your help is welcomed and appreciated.

--
TAB

I just installed the Acronis on the original drive before I cloned it and left it there so if I need to pop it back in to clone again its ready to go. It leaves all the partitions intact so any clones will be the same as the original drive.
Another option if you are using a Samsung drive is the Samsung data migration but again, you have to install it on the original first.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes everything Justin said except I have stopped using ATH and now use and recommend Macrium Reflect the Free addition is sufficient for Images only. To use it for scheduled back ups you will need to purchase.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

toronto699
Level 13

good find on this video I have it bookmarked for future questions.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
I cant watch that video, puts me to sleep!

Thanks for the link to the video! Exactly what I needed.

I installed and cloned the new 950 using the Samsung software, then removed it and stashed it away. While I was at it, I yanked the 1tb 7200rpm drive and replaced it with a Mushkin Reactor 1tb SSD.

Thanks to everyone who replied and were so helpful.

--
tab