cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 - kinda psyched

Ravenholme
Level 7
ok I know i already upgraded to the 980ti but the 1080 has really impressed me with it being twice as fast than a titan x and half the power requirements which kinda solves the problem for the G20AJ.

i'm kinda psyched and even considering replacing my 980ti

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080 (may 27)
(there's also a slightly cheaper but still faster than a titan x, 1070 out in June 10)

i could wait it out a bit but if i want to do 4K on this machine with the Y90RR 330W PSU + the 180W (or even switch the 330w back the 230w back in) i'll need to swap it out for the 1080 since i don't think the 980ti will be stable on this rig for 4K.

Thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5

Menthol
Level 14
I also watched the live feed last night, if what was said is true over twice the performance on a Titan X three times more efficient at US $600.00
He mentioned a special edition that clocked to 2100MHZ core for $750.00
Very curious to see if reviews back up his claims of twice the performance of Titan X, if the standard model clocks as high as his special edition
Also a new Nvidia SLI bridge that doubles the bandwidth between the Pascal cards

Yes very exciting news

Nate152
Hi Guys !

@Ravenholme - A single 980 Ti is not enough for 4k gaming, a 980 Ti can run games at 4k but it won't be at 60FPS+ unless they're older games.

@Menthol - The GTX 1080 is twice the performance of a titan x, that's a pretty big claim and I've never known NVidia to double performance going to the next gpu. Either the GTX 1080 is a super gpu or they're stretching it a bit although the pascal architecture and 2100MHz core clock could make all the difference.

I'm curious to see the reviews/benchmarks as well.

Ravenholme
Level 7
@Nate152 hmmm if that's really the case then getting a founders GTX 1080 would be nice + that new Asus 4K G-sync monitor. My BenQ XL2420TX still works great though... I can't seem to justify getting this stuff, like what do I do with the existing stuff that works fine? lol

Menthol
Level 14
Nate,

It was a fascinating show he put on, I believe they were referring to performance in VR, and the card they showed running at 2100mhz was there Founders Edition which is likely a binned edition for an extra $100.00
Still exciting stuff, faster than 980ti, only one 8 pin power connecter

ravenholme,

ebay!

Menthol wrote:
I believe they were referring to performance in VR

That's how I interpreted it. 2x the performance and 3x the efficiency in VR applications due to the performance increases plus simultaneous multi projection. Looking at their graph, it looks like the performance increases by themselves are ~20-25% faster than a Titan X. Still sounds fairly impressive to me. The chip temperature was pretty low too so a powerful but quiet card should not be out of the question.