cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up RAID0 on G752VY

Gustave
Level 9
Following the guide of JustinThyme and Slandscree I set up RAID0 on my G752VY and it was more simple than I thought it would be.

First I had been fiddling around with USB flash drives and portable SSD's for backups/images/clones, which did not give me the assurance I would get my initial boot-drive back in the RAID0 config (I did not want to do a fresh install).

A breakdown:

My system is on BIOS 213

I have installed the latest Intel RST driver + software package I found, Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v14.8.7.1051 WHQL.

I got a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo and replaced my 2TB 850 Pro with it. I downloaded Macrium Reflect and made a clone of my 950 Pro boot-drive on the Evo.

I rebooted to go into the setup to enable RAID

After the reboot I could boot from the Evo. I opened the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application. From within the RST software I could create the RAID0 with the two 950 Pro SSD's and what more: It gave the possibility to keep my data. So while creating the RAID0 my boot-drive was transfered at the same time. No need for the backup on the Evo. I accepted the proposed stripe size of 16. Don't know if another size would be better.

After the RAID0 was created I could boot from the RAID0 and I expanded the boot partition to the maximum size. I replaced the Evo with the 2TB 850 Pro and I was all set.

Performancewise, mmmmmm ...... (fast compared to where we come from)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
Interesting. I've never seen creation of a RAID 0 array that allowed you to keep the data. Its normal for RAID 1 and some other redundant set ups but trying to grasp how it kept the data while splitting it up into stripes on two different drives. I didn't see that option when I did mine, not that I looked for it as I automatically just knew that it was going to wipe the drive anyhow and had already issued the clean command and wiped the existing drive.
Welcome to G752VY RAID 0

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Interesting. I've never seen creation of a RAID 0 array that allowed you to keep the data. Its normal for RAID 1 and some other redundant set ups but trying to grasp how it kept the data while splitting it up into stripes on two different drives. I didn't see that option when I did mine, not that I looked for it as I automatically just knew that it was going to wipe the drive anyhow and had already issued the clean command and wiped the existing drive.
Welcome to G752VY RAID 0

Glad to be part of G752VY RAID0

I was surprised as well. Have set up several RAID systems in my time. The 'keep data' option is probably an add-on to the later Intel RST update. Anyway it came in handy 😄
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im just trying to grasp exactly how they are doing that. It has to be rewriting the same data to two stripes then deleting the original data. My bet is their is a ceiling on how much data you can have and that if the original drive was full it couldn't be done. Ill have to give it a whirl on the next go round just to see if I can tell what is going on. Not much for the black box theory, I have to know how and why for everything.
Whats messed up is you have to get the actual IRST raid software from another source to create the array, asus does not offer it, only drivers. Cant do it from the BIOS or a RAID ROM after post.

Edit:
On a side note just checked the ASUS support website. BIOS 206, 208 and 211 are history. Nothing there but 212 and 213. Guess there really is no sense in going back to anything before 213 at this point anyhow. Expecting to see probably one more update for the few remaining issues. I had confidence that it would evolve. Really not too bad of a time frame. VY hit the market in DEC 2015 and BIOS 213 released in less than 5 months. Even though the performance jump from the G751 was not huge the architecture change was major going to skylake.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Set up Raid0 on my G752VY-DH78k. Did take a lil trial and error, however was able to perfectly setup RAID0 , without losing any data. :cool:

nightKnight wrote:
Set up Raid0 on my G752VY-DH78k. Did take a lil trial and error, however was able to perfectly setup RAID0 , without losing any data. :cool:

To speak with JustinThyme: "Welcome to the G752VY RAID0 club"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gustave wrote:
To speak with JustinThyme: "Welcome to the G752VY RAID0 club"

Small Club with only 3 members now! LOL
Well 3 here that admitted to it anyhow......Everyone else seems to be hung up on using AHCI so they can run the samsung drivers that gives you zero advantage over the native windows NVMe drivers.

it would be great for a dumb like me that someones does it step by step

taltarara wrote:
it would be great for a dumb like me that someones does it step by step

Been posted several times. Once by me. In the top of the web page there is a box with a magnifying glass in it. This is better know as a search query. Type in a few words of what you want to find and it lists the posts in a new window. Wonderful invention.

diogogmaio
Level 7
I have to samsung ssd 256gb NVMe + 1tb HDD - all came with the laptop default.
With BIOS 213 I can see that RAID is the chosen mode.
RAID0 appears disabled.
How can I enable it? Chosing RAID0 enabled on BIOS doesn't seem to work.
I saw the step from Intel IRST but i am struggling to understand it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.