cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 752VT Possible Overclocking? (First Timer)

UniversalWolf21
Level 7
I just want to get it out there right now that I don't have experience overclocking, but I certainly want to learn. No I'm not planning on doubling the voltage or anything that crazy, I know enough about overclocking to know to only push it a few ticks at a time and not to go over 80c, stuff like that.

My question is, can the 752VT even be overclocked? I tried googling this specific model and I'm not findind anything, but I don't want to assume that we can't.

Also, is it only the CPU that can be overclocked? Could the GPU also be overclocked as well, just to get a few more FPS out of things like Black Desert Online?

Any help would be appreciated. Even if they are links, as long as the information can help me with my model, I will be satisfied. Hell, if you told me that it is a bad idea to do it with this model (not big enough fans, case is too small,etc.) I'd be fine with that, too. Just would like to know my options.
4 REPLIES 4

kidfromhell
Level 9
Okay, first of all. You can overclock. There's not much you can do or change, but hey, still there's something that you can do. The G752 series are pretty good at keeping temps low, so you can take your chances.

First, the CPU is the thing that can't be overclocked. Since, Intel has made sure that regular Skylake chips shouldn't be overclocked until and unless you have the 'K' chips with an unlocked multiplier. So people can shell out more money for the K chips and have to deal with less RMA's. So for mobile, you should have the 6820HK chip to overclock it to the fullest.

For GPU, you have two tools at your disposal. ASUS' own GPU Tweak or Gaming Center or 'whatever they call it every month'. It should allow you to overclock on a certain limit and there's not a lot you can mess around with. Just a couple of sliders to move. Still, that should be enough for beginners if you know what values you can mess with.

On the other hand, there's a tool called MSI Afterburner (which I currently use) which has the same set of sliders but it gives you the freedom to play with voltages and memory clocks as much as you want. (I have no idea on messing with voltages though). This is the same tool that is used for overclocking desktop chips as well.

UniversalWolf21
Level 7
Could you possibly send me a link to the GPU Tweak that I can properly use for this laptop? Don't want to bug around and grab the wrong one.

Also, what would you recommend that someone like me set the number to for my first time? Would GPU Tweaker stop me at a safe limit on its own, or...?

UniversalWolf21 wrote:
Could you possibly send me a link to the GPU Tweak that I can properly use for this laptop? Don't want to bug around and grab the wrong one.

Also, what would you recommend that someone like me set the number to for my first time? Would GPU Tweaker stop me at a safe limit on its own, or...?

Link for ROG Gaming Center (It has GPU Tweak built-in and also uninstall any previous versions and install this 1.0.8 version): http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/Gaming_Center/ROG_Gaming_Center_Win10_64_VER108.z...

And for the values, this is where I should stop you. Though GC doesn't allow you to overclock much, it does have a certain limit. But you should also test your values within that limit to see how much you can push your card. Since I have a 980M and have no ideas on the safe values for 970M, I'll leave this open for fellow 752VT owners to help you with the values.

STILL, the values you see ARE THEIR OWN and you should never push to it right away!

redduc900
Level 9
You should be able to use the Intel XTU for overclocking the CPU, since it's compatible w/ 6th gen. Intel CPUs like the 6700HQ in the 752VT...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-
Laptop: Asus G750JZ