cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build - Interesting Results

iCeD00D
Level 7
Well sit back and enjoy the show! 😛

So just recently I bought a Max VIII from Amazon and it arrived Thursday. I went ahead and did my normal inspection and starting the build process. I was very impressed on how the board looked and felt. A heft (heavy) motherboard I might add. After the build, i decided to go ahead and do a benchmark and stress test but before I did that, I went into the Dual Intelligent Processor 5 software and used the auto function to do the OC. Once it was done I was surprised to find out that it OC'd my system to 20% which was surprising seeing that my last MB (that I had to RMA) was a Hero which the software OC'd to 15%. So once that finished I ran the RealBench / benchmark and passed without any problems. Next, I decided to run the RealBench / Stress test and that's where the problems started. no matter what time or amount of ram I selected, my system would lockup and crash. So I went into the bios this time and selected XMP which OC'd to .05%. Running the stress test now and it crashed already but after the 15min successful test. Anyone experience anything like this or can give me some tips as to where to troubleshoot? Tks

-------------- Specs ---------------

I7-6700K
G.Skill RipJaw V - 32G
EVGA GTX 980 (x2 - SLI)
Corsair AX 1200
DeepCool Genome H20 Case
Winblows 10x64
Bios - 1701
Asus ROG G751JY
45 REPLIES 45

Nate152
Hi iCeDOOD

Which maximus viii motherboard did you get?

While it's convenient to use the auto OC it's best to do your overclocking manually, even if your cpu is stable it's likely getting over volted some.

I don't know the speed of your ram but for 32GB you may need to increase the vccio voltage, cpu system agent voltage and Dram voltage to achieve 100% stability, these are found on the extreme tweaker tab.

iCeD00D
Level 7
@Nate - Tks much for the reply. The board is the Maximus VIII Formula // Bios 1701 . My ram is ---- g.skill f4-3200c16d-16gvk . I'm fairly new to OC which is why i selected the auto-OC. Do you know of any sites i can use for ref for the settings you mentioned above? Also being the paranoid type, i noticed that when I was doing the stress test, at 100% max load it was getting above 80'C. I assume that one of the problems was the temps too high? Also in the BIOs I changed the OC to XMP if that helps . Tks in advance..
Asus ROG G751JY

Nate152
Up to 90c is fine for stress testing but for 24/7 use Intel says max temp of 64c and max safe voltage of 1.52v.

I can help you set it up manually if you like but I will need the specs of your ram - speed, timings and voltage.

iCeD00D
Level 7
WHew 🙂 .. awesome I'll get you that info here soon ... TKs
Asus ROG G751JY

Nate152
Sure no problem 🙂

Just let me know when you're ready.

What are you using to monitor cpu temps with?

iCeD00D
Level 7
I'm using AI Suite 3 / Dual Intelligent Processor 5 program. It has a window on the bottom that monitors temperature

---------RAM-----------
G.Skill RipJaws V - 4x8GB - F4-3200C16-8GVK -

DIMM 1 - DDR4 2133 (1066MHz) // timing - 16 // Voltage 1.20v // XMP 2.0
DIMM 2 - DDR4 2133 (1066MHz) // timing - 16 // Voltage 1.20v // XMP 2.0
DIMM 3 - DDR4 2133 (1066MHz) // timing - 16 // Voltage 1.20v // XMP 2.0
DIMM 4 - DDR4 2133 (1066MHZ) // timing - 16 // Voltage 1.20v // XMP 2.0

* Note - Taken from CPU-Z
Asus ROG G751JY

Nate152
Ok first things first, AI Suite doesn't give the cpu core temps it gives more or less the socket temp. I'd like you to download either real temp 3.70 or HWInfo to monitor cpu temps. I use HWInfo as it can show cpu temps with MSI Afterburner's on screen display while playing games.

Do not run AI Suite with HWInfo or real temp 3.70, using multiple monitoring programs can conflict with each other and give inaccurate readings.

I will suggest using HWInfo, if you've installed a 64 bit operating system click (under the pink one) "download installer" then local US and click run. While you do that I'm going to look up the specs of your ram and we'll set that first.

Let me know when you have HWInfo installed.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

iCeD00D
Level 7
Done
Asus ROG G751JY

Nate152
Ok great !

Now let's set your ram manually and see how she goes.

Enter the bios and reset to defaults (F5) and set the ai overclock tuner to manual.

Scroll down to Dram Frequency and select 3200MHz.

Scroll down to Dram voltage and enter in 1.35v

Then click on Dram Timing Control - At the very top enter in the timings

command rate 2

Let all other timings on auto and F10 and Enter to save and exit.

Once in windows you can run the Realbench benchmark to see if it passes, if it fails then we will need to adjust the voltages I mentioned.

Open HWInfo and click sensors, it will bring up a lot of settings and look for core 0, core 1, core 2. core 3 temps.

Good luck, if it passes we will move on to overclocking your cpu.