cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g750jm Hard drive failure and reinstalling windows - windows activation fails[solved]

nimchip
Level 7
So the harddrive in my g750jm (or g750j) failed and wouldn't boot, so I replaced it with a new one and reinstalled Windows 10. However, I cannot activate the copy for some reason.

My understanding is that the activation key is embedded in the BIOS, but it seems that it cannot find it. How can I solve this?

Also this laptop came with Windows 8, so should I had installed Win8 instead of Win10? Is that what's causing the issue?
7 REPLIES 7

Clintlgm
Level 14
Are you sure you installed to correct version of windows 10? if so I would give MS a support call, you are correct that Windows 10 activation servers should have been able to recognize your hardware.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

well i was under the impression that g750s came with win8 pro... so i installed win10 pro

toronto699
Level 13
W10 Home edition

ok ill try that and report back, thank you

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yep, none of them came with Pro, still dont.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Ok guys you were right, its now activated. Thank you so much for your help!

JustinThyme
Level 13
In the future if you have any issues you can bypass the activation and install anyhow then use a M$ chat session that can be launched Start>all apps>contact support. They will help sort it out.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein