cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Formula V Crosshair Z Power on issue

ShadowDarkblade
Level 7
The first time I turn my Computer on it gets to windows and shuts off no warning no errors just shuts off In order for me to use my PC I have to let it shut off and turn it back on again after that no problems when in windows

I have tried using a different CPU and upgrading the bios no luck.

Here is a link to a video that shows whats happening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4l16Wyfiq8

Any suggestions would be great.

My Rig:

CPU: AMD Fx 9590 Cooled By H100i v2

Video Card: Vapor-X R9 290X 8GB DDR5

Motherboard: Asus Formula V Crosshair Z

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400Mhz

Power Supply: 1200w Rosewill Photon-1200
22 REPLIES 22

Legolas
Level 9
Reseat all components. Memory in the A2-B2 (for two memory modeles)?
Sincerely,
Legolas

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ShadowDarkblade and Welcome to ROG 😄

Try starting your system with just one DIMM in first slot and switching them around.
If your system then starts and doesn't shut down, test your DIMMs with Memtest86+

Are there any critical issues in event viewer?

Some have experienced this issue due to GPU driver installation. Try rolling back or updating your graphics driver.

Check Power plan settings in Windows.

A number of things can cause this in W10. report back with the above first.

BTW, You do have both 8pin and 4pin sockets occupied on the MB? Just checking.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

I Have reseated all components no change. Not my ram was doing this with my old ram and now my new ram. Ran Memtest86+ for 4+ hours no errors. Event viewer says The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Both 8pin and 4pin sockets occupied. Power plan in windows set fine

MeanMachine
Level 13
Ok lets continue troubleshooting.

To eliminate the possibility that somehow your Windows registry has been corrupted, Run "sfc /scannow" in an elevated prompt without the quotation marks.
Should the scan indicate errors and can't fix them then some apps may be the cause. If it has repaired your registry and the issue continues, we will have to delve deeper.
Keep an eye on your Qcodes during post, especially if it alts for some time during the DXE initialization phase Qcode 73-77. report any anomaly.
Ensure RAM timings are correctly configured in Bios. Key in manually your XMP profile and voltage.
Indicate any OC or changes you have made in Bios.

Report back with results.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios. There is no overclock on any components other then my ram is running at 2400mhz. My Ram timings have been set manually and are correct.
I have tried clearing bios and made no difference. i have turned off all power saving settings in the bios and set turbo boost to enabled instead of auto. had my power supply tested came back with no issues.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Next to consider are startup programs, Turn off any not needed or try delayed start. Be careful here if not sure of a service then google it.

The CBS log can be difficult to determine (and its long) where the fault lies and needs scrutiny at the W10 forum, you can look at it using a text editor, run as admin and see if anything obvious.

I would consider a system repair or a complete OS re-install if no luck with the CBS Log. Would save further frustration.
I know its a pain if you've had Windows for a while, but no problem if its been a new installation.

If when post gets to AA or AC, It means a successful transition to ACPI mode and hands over to your OS. If then the crash occurs then generally it is Windows related.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I was hoping i wouldn't have to do an OS reinstall but i can if it would be the easiest fix i will.

Getting 66 still atfer 3 boots

MeanMachine
Level 13
Qcode 66 is a CPU DXE initialization error. Has this just started to happen? cause normally your post will not advance till rectified.

A little more insight:

"Driver Execution Environment (DXE) Phase. There are several components in the DXE phase and it is where most of the system initialization is performed.
The Dxe Core produces a set of Boot Services, Runtime Services, and DXE Services.
The Dxe Core is composed of boot services code, so no code from the Dxe Core itself is allowed to persist into the OS runtime environment.
Only the runtime data structures allocated by the Dxe Core and services and data structured produced by runtime DXE drivers are allowed to persist into the OS "runtime environment".
These components work together to initialize the platform and provide the services required to boot an operating system.
The DXE phase and Boot Device Selection (BDS) phases work together to establish consoles and attempt the booting of operating systems.
The DXE phase is terminated when an operating system is successfully booted.

Although Qcode 66 is usually related to the DIMMs you are using, I see you have tested them. So that should not be the issue.
Another way to see is to swap them out with another kit. Please list the exact specs and are they listed on the ASUS QVL for your MB?.
You will have to eliminate this possibility.

Re-installing your OS is no guarantee of a fix. Try to repair first.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I have had the code come up for quite a while was one of the reasons i got new ram.

Have tried putting 4 different sticks of ddr3 memory no charge still code 66.

My ram is not on the list for my motherboard none of the other sticks that i have are ether.

I will try and run a windows repair and see what happens.