cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The waiting game (GTX 10xx)

Veovis
Level 10
Hey everyone,

I figured I'd ask since the new generation of graphics cards are coming out and I really can't bother with comparisons since most reviews only consist of cherry picked* comparisons.

But I wanted to ask, with the new GTX 10xx cards arriving, does one brand or make of card seem to do better? The enhanced cooler or the custom out of the gate clocking?

*by cherry picked I mean stock to brand or just one brand comparisons, rarely are there full comparisons of every card under the same model number.

Another question is:

Would it be smarter to wait longer for the Next titan/GTX "Tick" announcment? (Ti line.)

This is for pure speculation and trying to find a pattern in GeForce/Nvidia's previous launches with numbers to see if anything will play out like previous times.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi Veovis

GTX 1070 - GDDR5
GTX 1080 - GDDR5X and is reported to be 2-3 times faster than the titan x. I'm waiting to see benchmarks on this claim.
Pascal Titan - HBM2 Not much info on this yet.

Some gpu's are better in that they have more phases which = better power delivery which in turn = better overclocking.

Veovis
Level 10
@Nate152

I get what you're stating, but I mean would it be worth waiting for a MATRIX 1080 or a MATRIX 1080ti? (Or Evga's overpriced K|NGP|N, Gigabytes OC edition, MSI's Twin FROZR, Zotac's AMP, Color's whatever...)

Basically I'm trying to figure out would it be worth to wait even more for the 1080ti make version from third party than just buying Nvidia's Stock GTX 1080 at bat. Especially after the 970 RAM fiasco.

Nate152
Well that will depend how bad you're in need of an upgrade, if your pc can play all games fine now it would be worth the wait for the Pascal Titan as it has HBM2 memory.

Those gpu's you listed for example the Matrix 1080, those will be cherry picked 1080's so yeah they will be clocked higher than the reference 1080 but they will cost more too, you know how it goes. 🙂

Word is the Pascal Titan won't be released until 2017.

Veovis
Level 10
Fair enough. The Mars 760 I have is "holding" fine at 2560x1440, but I have to really dumb it down for playable rates on 3840x2160 (Turning off AA helps a ton. Otherwise I get black screen d-sync like crazy.)

So yeah. I'm going to wait a bit and see what the cherry-pickers will make, plus see if there's any time for "scandals" (Drivers, overheating, misadvertisement) to work themselves out

Nate152
Yeah the mars 760 will struggle big time at 4k if not buckle down to its knees and bend over backwards. 😉 I feel sure it runs out of vram being that it has 2GB of vram for each gpu. It should do fairly well at 2560 x 1440 but it could run out of vram there too depending on the game.

Hang in there and wait to see what transpires with Pascal, we're all up in the air just as much as you are. 🙂