cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Hero VIII and Intel 6700k stuck at 800mhz and 8x multiplyer

Stucutting
Level 7
I hope someone can help me with this as I have been tearing my hair out trying to sort it out. I noticed the other day when I opened Ai suite for the first time after building this new system that my CPU was stuck at 800mhz no matter what I did.

I reinstalled windows this week and flashed the latest bios but it is still like it. I have been through all the power settings in Windows that I can think of like the minimum and maximum cpu speeds and also tried disabling speedstep and c states in the bios.

I am really not sure what to try next and I am really hoping it is just a setting I have missed and not a faulty board or cpu.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

Stuart
30 REPLIES 30

Kenrou
Level 8
Download CPU-Z and check if its really stuck at 800mhz or its AISuite bugging. Also might be your windows power saving features, does it change when you game or use programs ?

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black

Chino
Level 15

Legolas
Level 8
Did you ever check if your power option in Windows is in High Performance mode?
Did you change your multiplier in BIOS? What is your Extreme Tweaker settings? Could you please send us pictures?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Did you ever check if your power option in Windows is in High Performance mode?
Did you change your multiplier in BIOS? What is your Extreme Tweaker settings? Could you please send us pictures?

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have check the power options and they are set to high performance and all the advanced settings in there look correct.

I checked in cpuz and it is definitely stuck at 800mhz all the time even during stress testing.

I haven't really tried changing much in the bios like the multiplier yet as I wanted to read up a bit more on what everything does. I will try and get some pictures of my extreme tweeter settings in a moment. Which parts of it in particular do you want to see?

Thanks for all the replies.

Stucutting wrote:
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have check the power options and they are set to high performance and all the advanced settings in there look correct.

I checked in cpuz and it is definitely stuck at 800mhz all the time even during stress testing.

I haven't really tried changing much in the bios like the multiplier yet as I wanted to read up a bit more on what everything does. I will try and get some pictures of my extreme tweeter settings in a moment. Which parts of it in particular do you want to see?

Thanks for all the replies.

By any chance, did you buy the OC Panel II separetly and have it connected to your motherboard? also please locate the LN2 Mode jumper/switch and make sure it's in the off position.

Chino wrote:
By any chance, did you buy the OC Panel II separetly and have it connected to your motherboard? also please locate the LN2 Mode jumper/switch and make sure it's in the off position.

No unfortunately I didn't get the OC panel but I was tempted. Is it worth getting? Also the LN2 jumper is set to off.

Nate152
Hi Stucutting

Enter the bios and reset to defaults (F5) then F10 and Enter to save and exit and see if this gets your cpu working normally.

Also check cpu temps on the monitoring tab.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Stucutting

Enter the bios and reset to defaults (F5) then F10 and Enter to save and exit and see if this gets your cpu working normally.

Also check cpu temps on the monitoring tab.

Just tried this but it is still stuck at 800. The cpu temp is showing at 29 degrees in the bios.

Legolas
Level 8
When you go to BIOS -> Go to Extreme Tweaker -> What is your multiplier? What is your FSB? I think it is struck at 8x100 fsb. You should CPU Core ratio to Auto.
Please enable Speed Step and Turbo in your BIOS, please
Sincerely,
Legolas