cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Enough USB Controller Resources

adambean
Level 7
Hey all,

I have 2x USB 3.0 hubs and 1x USB 2.0 hub.
- USB 3.0 hub #1 = no devices connected, used for on demand connection
- USB 3.0 hub #2 = one device connected
- USB 2.0 hub = 8 devices connected
- Nothing else connected directly to PC

What I don't understand is ... what the hell is all this below?

This may play a role into another problem I have where my mouse/keyboard randomly stop working unless I unplug and reconnect.

I was having this issue before and then I swapped mobo's, rebuilt windows and moved most the devices over to USB 2.0 as I had read that this is typically a USB 3.0 limitation.

Yet, back to the same problem again?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

adambean
Level 7
Anyone?

Swiso
Level 9
Hi, I think *not an expert* what you see is correct.
-ASMedia stuff is MB USB 3.0 ports you have on the back
-Intel USB 3.0 are the two (red) connectors on the MB
-The Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub might be your #1 and 2 USB 3.0 HUB's
-The Generic USB HUB might be your USB 2.0 HUB
-The USB Composite device's ( 4 of them) could be 4 of the devices connected to your USB 2.0 HUB
-2 x USB Mass Storage device could be two devices connected to the same USB 2.0 HUB
-The Logitech USB Camera is another device connected ( I imagine) to your USB 2.0 HUB

How many ports have each HUB ?

That's my two cents, but I am not an expert, maybe someone with more knowledge will add some more informations.

Swiso wrote:
Hi, I think *not an expert* what you see is correct.
-ASMedia stuff is MB USB 3.0 ports you have on the back
-Intel USB 3.0 are the two (red) connectors on the MB
-The Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub might be your #1 and 2 USB 3.0 HUB's
-The Generic USB HUB might be your USB 2.0 HUB
-The USB Composite device's ( 4 of them) could be 4 of the devices connected to your USB 2.0 HUB
-2 x USB Mass Storage device could be two devices connected to the same USB 2.0 HUB
-The Logitech USB Camera is another device connected ( I imagine) to your USB 2.0 HUB

How many ports have each HUB ?

That's my two cents, but I am not an expert, maybe someone with more knowledge will add some more informations.

What he said - USB nonsense in windows system manager proliferates quickly when you start hooking things in. Various peripherals will just stitch together chips or use a chip that does more than they need because it is $0.03 in volume so who cares?

The number of devices generally isn't the issue, USB should be able to handle that. Whether the gazillion drivers windows cobbles together work right is another issue.

adambean
Level 7
So back to this ... I ended up disabling xHCI; however, recently re-enabled because running at USB 2.0 speeds for external drives is a serious PITA.

Just plugged in a device and got this damn message again.

Is there any way to resolve this?
- I have a USB 2.0 hub hooked up to a USB 2.0 port which has ... like 8-10 devices plugged in.
- I then have a USB 3.0 hub which has 1 device plugged in.
- I also have one more USB 3.0 hub that has nothing plugged in.

It seems crazy to me that I am limited to roughly 10 devices on a $500+ motherboard.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

The one thing that comes to my mind reading this is USB 2.0 power output capacity.

You don't specify whether your hub is powered or not, but with 8-10 devices connected to it, you might exceed the maximum power output a USB 2.0 port can provide.

Usually though, you'll get a warning in Windows when that happens, but still, could be what requires you to power cycle your peripherals. I would try and connect your 8-10 devices to different ports on your computer, instead of all in a single hub.

Also- why have a USB 3.0 hub with nothing connected to it, and another hub with only one device attached? Why not just use a USB extension cord instead? Adding USB ports to a computer for the sake of adding USB ports seems to be a tad pointless?