cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with setup, need help

Kasu
Level 7
Hello,

I've bought a few components and I seem to have issues making it work. It might even be a compatibility issue
as it's stated nowhere that the RAM and Motherboard are compatible.
The problem is that on my MB I have a PCIe slot at the top (x16) for the GPU. But whatever I plug in there does not
work, it receives power though and is listed in the BIOS as 'x0', so the MB kind of detects there is not nothing in the slot..
So I have tried using this slot with the GPU, SSD, using other slots with the GPU, SSD. Both components seem to work in
another slot, yet fail to work in the broken one. Do you guys think it is a compatibility issue with the RAM? (Also tried using
just 1 RAM card..)

Please help me, I don't know what else to try... thankyou
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask 🙂

Here is my setup:

• Asus BC-12D2HT
    (Disk Drive)
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming [4GB]
    (GPU)
  • Asus Maximus Ranger VIII
    (Motherboard)
  • WD Blue 3.5'' SATA 6Gb/s [2TB]
    (HDD)
  • Enermax ETS-T40F-BK
    (CPU Cooler)
  • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 [750W]
    (PSU)
  • Intel Core i7-6700K
    (CPU)
  • G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Kit CL 16, 32GB DDR4-RAM [3400MHz]
    (RAM), F4-3400C16Q-32GVK
  • OCZ Revodrive 350 [240GB]
    (SSD), RVD350-FHPX28-240G
5 REPLIES 5

MajorMajor
Level 8
I don't see how the RAM has anything to do with this. Sounds like a faulty motherboard, I would file an RMA for it if it's still under warranty. I don't see that it could be anything else, the slot just isn't working.
VG248QE x 2 | GeForce GTX 980 Ti | Gaming Mechanical Keyboards

Thanks but .... what if I told you this is the 3rd motherboard that has the same issue? And it seems to have been exchanged twice now..
Because at the moment my option is to cancel the complete order, if it is another faulty motherboard..

I mean in the end they accepted the motherboard 2x for repair up to now, but this situation is actually making me feel unsure myself..

Veovis
Level 10
Hi, this may sound completely bananas, but have you tried running the setup without the revo drive installed?

Also, possibly redundant, make sure you're using the latest drivers for all devices to they communicate with the motherboard properly. Sometimes using the stock drivers that came with the motherboard/card/whatever can really mess with specific configurations.

Well having 3 different slots (x16), (x8) and (x4) which are relevant for SSD & GPU, I tried the following setups:

x16****x8****x4
GPU************SSD
GPU
*********GPU
SSD
*********SSD

I haven't tried the GPU in the x8 slot and the SSD in the x4 slot, as they would be too close... Any device in the x16 didn't not work,
although it seemed to receive power from the MB, visible from the SSD which has no external power.

Aren't drivers related to operating systems? Because this problem should not occur due to the OS I am using? As it does not display in
Bios, not the OS? I updated the firmware of the last MB but it didn't work. Didn't try with the new one yet but it has been updated too
during the repair..

Veovis
Level 10
Uh oh. It looks like it might be a problem with the Ranger Series, It looks like the same issue existed with the previous iteration: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61346-Maximus-VII-Ranger-PCI-x16-crash