cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This GL752VW-DH71 sleep/screen issue is really getting old

jarablue
Level 7
Basically my screen won't turn on after the laptop lid closes. And this has been an issue since I bought the thing. Asus support has no idea how to fix the issue at all. Whether it is a bios issue or driver issue. I have found nothing other than the system doesn't support S0 power state which is anything but full power. Please read my thread here....

I have tried running the powercfg tool via the command prompt. When trying to run a sleepstudy via powercfg it outputs - S0 Low Power Idle is not supported on this machine. Say what? Is that even normal? Cannot run tool. Checking a battery report I generated from powercfg it tells me that connected standby is not supported on this system. I am running Windows 10 home. This did work for a brief time with an older bios. The older ones have been pulled from Asus website. Hyper V is not an issue since it doesn't run on Win 10 home.

I didn't try older nvidia drivers just for the fact I don't want to run older drivers for my games. Is there anything else I can try? Kinda going bat**** crazy as to why my laptop screen won't turn on after this thing sleeps. At a loss as to what to do. I have already re-installed Windows 10 fresh as can be. I am updated with all my drivers also.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: I really want to get this fixed. On the ROG forums and calling Asus tech support, they have no idea. I found this post online that details what may be going on...

"That's a super strange error message btw.... Could be you don't have the correct chipset drivers installed or they are broken... but I don't believe you'd miss something obvious like that. So that means your mobo chipset driver literally doesn't support ACPI power states *at all*. If it can't do S0 then it can't do anything aside from full power.

What you describe and it really hangs on S0 then a common sign of that is a literally deadlock of your mobo. Meaning "soft" power button doesn't work. I assume you have to trigger hardware reset or hold the button for few seconds to get it to reboot?

If you power button triggers OFF on short press, then your mobo doesn't hang at all, but something else prevents execution of lower power state S2 and S3. And yes, this could mean Nvidia drivers.... or literally any other device attached, including even the CPU.

To be honest, if you only have this on Windows 10, then my bet is on chipset or device driver not support Windows 10 / ACPI properly. Nearly impossible to diagnose"

How can this laptop, Asus GL752VW-DH71, not support anything else other than full power? I am using the latest Intel drivers. The only thing I haven't tried was older nvidia drivers, I will try them now. What do you guys suggest I do here? I am not going to give up on this as I paid over 1k for this laptop. For me that is a lot of money on a non desktop piece of equipment. Thanks again everyone.

So ROG forums, what the hell is going on with this thing? Am I being hacked here? Why doens't my laptop support anything other than full power mode? I mean at this point, WTF?
11 REPLIES 11

jijul90
Level 7
Hi... can I know ur sleep setting in power management...?
Mine like picture shows below.. My GL752VW doesn`t have any sleep issue so far....

hope this help u...

jarablue
Level 7
They are set to disabled and off.

can you try turn on the hybrid sleep option, see if ur notebook able wake up from sleep state. Let me know the result, if the problem still persist or not.

in meanwhile, i try run mine with powercfg test to see if our result is same or not.

I run same test as ur mentioned above... did this result same with yours...?

jarablue
Level 7
I have the same as you. I am going to check if it works since enabling hybrid sleep in the power options.

jarablue
Level 7
Nope, screen still does not turn on. System goes to sleep when the lid is shut but opening the lid there is no power at all to the screen. **** is pissing me off!

So the problem is still there, time to check ur hardware. I suggest, you need to bring ur notebook to asus center and show the problem in front of them. Also let them know your workaround so far so they don`t do thing twice (it just slow the process).

Let Asus do their part this time, time to use ur warranty. Good luck bro

jijul90 wrote:
So the problem is still there, time to check ur hardware. I suggest, you need to bring ur notebook to asus center and show the problem in front of them. Also let them know your workaround so far so they don`t do thing twice (it just slow the process).

Let Asus do their part this time, time to use ur warranty. Good luck bro

Looking around online, I am not the only one with this exact issue. There are people on Amazon, Newegg with this model and are having the same issue. Bios updates do not work. Asus needs to fix this ASAP as others are having this problem. Might be a combination of Windows 10 messing up and a bios issue. Where is Asus when you need them?

That is famous problem for asus, they does not care about minor problem. I don`t know if they even give attention to their consumer complaint.

Recently, My friend also have sleep issue like yours for this type of notebook but they manage to get it fix by change the sleep setting in the power management like I post before.
Most of their driver are default (Asus driver) except nvidia driver. So, that`s make me wonder if ur notebook have hardware problem like motherboard.

For this time being, if u don`t want to sent ur notebook to the asus center for checking, better avoid ur notebook from entering sleep mode especially when using battery and also hope asus will notice this issue.