cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an M2 SSD which one to get 951 or 950 pro

Ajinta
Level 7
Hello I decided to get one of those fast NVMe drives for my new skylake build. I am using an Maximus VIII ranger motherboard which fully supports tose drives. Samsung currently offers the best drive cosidering their prices and speeds. I decided for a 256 GB drive and I am wondering which one to get. I do not care for its clor or being an OEM drive. SM951 offers even slightly better speds and is priced at 150 eur while 950 PRO is 200 eur. Basicly what is the main difference in those two drives ? Is 950 simply better made to last longer somehow or it is just a bit more fancy looking . I do not mind getting 950 pro but onlyif I know something is actualy worth a 50 eur more on it.
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15

Ajinta
Level 7
Is there any real benefit of 950 pro over SM951 ?

drop4205
Level 12
I went from a 951 non nvme to the 950 nvme and like it alot more. Crystal disk mark was a lot better. Its harder to find a nvme 951 than a non nvme version just to let you know.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Ajinta
Level 7
My local seller has this one:

http://www.mlacom.si/samsung-sm951-nvme-256gb-m-2-ssd

It is NMVe version of the drive and that is a reason I am not sure which to pick, I learned that this are oem drives sold without samsungs support in bags rather than boxes. My seller backs it up with with 3 year warranty. I know 950 pro has a driver for windows to improve performance...does 951 also has that thing ?

Menthol
Level 14
Only drivers specifically for the 951 is from PC manufacturers, Dell, HP, etc. but you may be able to install the 950 driver
Unless the 951 is considerably cheaper to buy i would get the 950 but either drive are very good

Samsung 951 is a OEM product while 950 Pro is retail. You don't get Samsung direct warranty for the 951, have to go through where you buy it from. And the 951 does not support the Samsung Magician Software, where the 950 Pro does. Might want to just grab a Samsung 850 Pro or something, yes it's only SATA and not NVMe, but it should be good enough. Besides the 850 Pro gets a 10 year warranty vs 5 years on the 950 Pro.

Hey guys i finished building my third rig about a month ago of course it is never officially done because i love tweaking and upgrading hardware so i guess i will explain what i have first and then get into it.

Maximus VIII Formula
Skylake 6700k cooled by Corsair H115i
64gb Gskill ddr4 3200
Strix 980ti
2 Samsung 950 Pro 512gb in raid0
Corsair HX1000i

So i have never been into raid setups, in the past i have always just kept to simple ssd. Recently i purchased a Samsung 950 Pro because I wanted to test out the new pcie nvme storage setups and test out the speeds these guys are supposed to put out and i was pretty impressed with read and write speeds. So i decided to buy another one. Now my Maximus viii Formula has a m.2 slot and i have a m.2 x4 hyper card left over from my tuf sabertooth. I started reading about how to set these guys up in raid 0. After 4 days of going insane trying to set this up i finally was able to get it working.

Samsung Magician software was showing me Seq. Read at 3000 the highest i got it was 3150 write speeds were also up there i dont remember exactly. So today i decided to play with Asus Ram Cache software. I wasnt able to find allot of info on how people were utilizing this software. Since i have 64gb of gskill 3200 i decided to put 16gb of ram cache. I ran Samsung Magician performance test and this is what i got.

It would be great if someone more knowledgeable would be able to explain exactly what is going on and if it is bad or good, is 16gb too much, any negatives any positives, should i use my San Disk Ultra II 2.5 ssd for cache?