cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New skylake build, driver problems (USB ports not working)

Laremin
Level 7
Hello,
I just finished building my new skylake water cooled system.
Here are the specs:
Intel i7-6700k 4.0 GHz (have not overclocked yet=
Asus maximus VIII HERO Z170
EVGA GeForce GTX 970
HyperX Fury 2666 MHz DDR4
Be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-630W PSU
triple radiator with 3x fans inside top of case
2x additional fans mounted on case
samsung ssd 500gb

So basically my computer booted fine and I'm able to log into windows, but I have some problems with my usb ports on my motherboard. As this is a completely fresh build, you might guess that I have to install all the drivers needed. THe problem is, I have no internet and any flash drive (I have tried 3 different) or external cd drive I insert into the motherboard won't get detected by windows. My mouse and keyboard work perfectly fine. DO NOTE that all the devices including flash drives are detected in my bios, but not in windows. This means that I'm not able to bring drivers onto my new system and I don't really know what else there is to do. I have tried updating my bios, changing some usb settings in bios etc but none of these have fixed the problem.

I'm thinking that it might be a compatibility issue as this is a relatively new motherboard and has 3.1 and 3.0 USB functions, maybe the flash drives I have don't go well with this. My last option would be to download all drivers to my laptop drive and then try to unscrew it and connect it to the new system.
Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

drop4205
Level 12
Can you install all the drivers from your laptop to usb stick then put in usb 2.0 port on back of motherboard then go to file explorer and open up the usb stick to load the drivers? Not sure which windows you are installing but it should see them in windows.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
Can you install all the drivers from your laptop to usb stick then put in usb 2.0 port on back of motherboard then go to file explorer and open up the usb stick to load the drivers? Not sure which windows you are installing but it should see them in windows.

Hello there, thanks for your swift answer.
Well the problem is that windows doesn't recognize the usb stick when I put into the motherboard. I've tried all of the ports, both 3.0/3.1 and 2.0. The weird part of it is that I can see that my usb stick lights up (led lights) which means the port's not completely dead. If I put keyboard or mouse in the port where the usb was they work fine. Seems like my mobo detects the flash drive but not windows.

I should mention that I haven't formatted my ssd from my last system, which had another motherboard from asus (IV extreme, ROG). Clearly I didn't uninstall the related drivers so they were still installed when i logged into windows on my new system. Maybe there's some conflicting there with the drivers. I'm using a genuine windows 7 OS and I have a the cd for it too. I tried reformatting the ssd disk but there seem to be error messages popping up during the installation as well.

kkn
Level 14
migrating OS from one system to another is not advicable ( as you all ready have stumbled over now ).
always do a fresh install of OS for it to work.
if you have a pc that you can use to realy format the drive i would recommend doing it.
that way you would be sure there is no files there preventing the fresh OS install.

Laremin
Level 7
Yes kkn, I've learned that now.. But do you have any ideas as to what I can try to resolve the problem?
Thanks for your input.

drop4205
Level 12
Download windows 10 or use windows of your choice and put in usb stick or dvd drive. Boot into bios and go to boot menu and down to boot overide to the device with your windows iso on it and click it. If there is a uefi version listed of the device you have windows iso on click that one and do a fresh install as kkn has said.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11