cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW Wont boot/turn on

neilzen11
Level 7
Hello Guys!

I bought my brother GL552VW last month. Yesterday(May 14, 2016) he was still playing it and later this morning(May 15, 2016) it just wont boot/turn on
because I can see the Power LED on, Num Lock Led on, and The BULB LED (I don't know what it is :D). Also I noticed that Battery LED is green but Its LED also
dies when the other LEDS turns off.

The methods I have tried are the following:

1. Remove battery and plug in the charger and turn it on. -> No effect
2. Re-plug battery and plug in the charger turn it on. -> No effect
3. Remove battery and plug then push the power button for 30 seconds and plug the charger back and turn it on. -> No effect
4. Repeat method 3 and push the power button longer. -> No effect

Are there still any other solution for this? or it needs to undergo warranty?

Thank you guys in Advance!
2 REPLIES 2

phaalan
Level 7
Hey Neilzen11

By any chance you replace the hard drive just before you started to have this problem?

dinoshan
Level 7
neilzen11 wrote:
Hello Guys!

I bought my brother GL552VW last month. Yesterday(May 14, 2016) he was still playing it and later this morning(May 15, 2016) it just wont boot/turn on
because I can see the Power LED on, Num Lock Led on, and The BULB LED (I don't know what it is :D). Also I noticed that Battery LED is green but Its LED also
dies when the other LEDS turns off.

The methods I have tried are the following:

1. Remove battery and plug in the charger and turn it on. -> No effect
2. Re-plug battery and plug in the charger turn it on. -> No effect
3. Remove battery and plug then push the power button for 30 seconds and plug the charger back and turn it on. -> No effect
4. Repeat method 3 and push the power button longer. -> No effect

Are there still any other solution for this? or it needs to undergo warranty?

Thank you guys in Advance!

I THINK MY POST BELOW IS IRRELEVANT TO YOUR ISSUE. SORRY. DIDN'T READ PROPERLY. BUT HOPE SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE A USED FOR IT.
Most likely you'll need to remove your internal battery to reset, but that'll void your warranty. 😞

I had my first issue when a shop assistant tried to install typc c cable to a monitor . He installed the driver and after reboot, the screen went blank. After multiple tries, with the Asus logo running and then blank screen, the idiot told me to RMA since this was only a week old. I got the solution after a few hours maybe it could help you. During booting, when you see Asus logo, shut down with the power button. Do this 3 times, and you'll be prompted to a recover option. I restored to a point before the driver install, and my problem was solved. After that update the drivers, which I believe is the issue. You can refer to the post by Ellery Higgins in Amazon for this laptop update of video driver, excerpt below.

My second issue was, after my restore, for a couple of days all was fine. I have not done the driver updates yet. Then one day, I booted and there was blank screen. I led was lit, but no boot screen or anything. But I could see the hdd, light blinking and accessed. I was doing something else and left my laptop in that state. When I returned about 30mins later, my log in screen was there. So you can try this if you can't see your boot logo.
Good Luck.

(By Ellery Higgins)

You can download either the updated Asus driver from their support website (slightly out of date) or obtain the most recent Intel driver; both will work to solve the crashes/inconsistencies.
Download either of these, and extract them somewhere easy to remember (Desktop or Downloads folder is fine). DO NOT INSTALL THE SETUP.EXE, THIS WILL NOT WORK!

Instead, click on the start button (or hit the start button on your keyboard), and type "Device Manager". After typing the first few letters, you should see it populate in the list on your Start menu and be able to either hit enter or click on it. From there, click on the little ">" next to "Display Adapters", right click on "Intel(R) HD Graphics 530" and click on "Update Driver Software". This will bring up a new dialog box. In this box, click on "Browse My Computer for Driver Software". Do not Search or Browse, but instead click on "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer". Once this window is up, don't click on any of the suggestions it gives you, instead click on the "Have Disk..." button on the bottom right. NOW in this window, you click on "Browse", then navigate to where you extracted the driver package you just downloaded from either Asus or Intel. There will be a folder in your download named "Graphics", open that up, and you're going to want to point this installer to the file "igdlh64.inf". Click on Open, and proceed to install the driver this way. If your computer prompts you to restart, please do. If it does not prompt you to restart after installation, do it anyway.
NOTE: This will be the only time you will have to update the Intel HD driver in this manner, from now on you will be able to install both the generic ones and the Asus ones via the install .exe as intended. This will fix your Windows 10 Intel HD related crashes and instabilities.

That's it for this review, enjoy, good luck, have fun with a very solid, very quiet, very cool (except on the left side by the ventilation...holy moly, it keeps my coffee warm) laptop.