cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal to have No HDMI audio playback device appear before plugging it in?

Stormvision
Level 7
Hello,

I'm trying to understand how to enable HDMI audio on my Win10 notebook (before buying a A/V receiver 5.1 ;)).

I think I should have a "Digital Audio (HDMI)" option, or something similar, in my Playback Devices inside Windows Audio control panel, but I don't.

My hardware:

- Intel 4600 Graphics
- Nvdia Geforce GTX 580M
- Realtek High Definition Audio

All the drivers are up to date (or at least very recent, I usually prefer stable versions even if they aren't the latest ones). Still, I don't have any HDMI option in any control panel (Nvidia, Intel, Realtek) or in Windows Audio.

The only place where I can find any mention to "Audio" is the Intel Graphics Control Panel under Display > Audio. But there is only a text that says that there is no display connected with audio capabilities.

My Nvidia control panel has only the "3D Settings" section, but I see from other users that they have others sections, like the "Display" one where there are options for HDMI.

I have no TV or other HDMI enabled device right now, so I can't try to connect the notebook until I buy the A/V receiver. But I guess that I should have the HDMI playback device and the HDMI options in some Control Panel even when there is no HDMI device connected, right?

Under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, I have no "Intel(R) Display Audio" that should be associated with HDMI out (even if when I install Intel drivers there is indeed a DisplayAudio folder inside the zip, but apparently it isn't installed).

Can you help me figure out how to enable HDMI audio? I'm also a bit confused about which device should handle this... because reading on forums someone says that HDMI audio is handled by Intel drivers, someone says Nvidia drivers, and others say Realtek drivers :rolleyes:
5 REPLIES 5

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes I think the HDMI is for Movies etc that have sound and audio. I think for your AV Reviver using Audio only you may need to use the Toslink Fiber Optical Digital Audio if you check you manual I think you'll find that the Head phone jack if a combo Toslink Fiber Optical Digital Audio you will need a adapter cable from toslink mini to Toslink. I haven't used any of these but here is a link to some on Amazon. Hope this helps, you don't mention what Notebook you have but most have had this feature at least back through the G75VW that I know of?

You would control the Optical Toslink out put from your Audio card interface.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

warryabel
Level 7
for me hdmi playback device is presented by nvidia. it cames with displaydriver...

Thank you, I don't have a Toslink or a Coaxial out, so I need to use HDMI (also because only HDMI can handle some 5.1 formats, like DTS Master Audio).

However I found out that the HDMI device should show up under my Playback Devices only after I plug in the receiver. I was afraid that I was missing some drivers, but maybe that's not the case.

Also, under Windows Device Management if I check "Show Hidden Devices" there is in fact a "Intel(R) Display Audio", so probably that's it.

I ordered the A/V Receiver, so I guess I only need to wait and try 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
Its actually the norm for hardware not to show if its not connected.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

You're right, but the lack of any reference to HDMI in drivers and control panels made me wonder if there were something wrong 🙂

Besides, the last time I had to use HDMI on a PC, it was a few years ago... and it hadn't any audio capabilities yet 😄