cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking i7-4790K & MAXIMUS VII HERO

Rammstein874
Level 7
So i am looking to overclock the MAXIMUS VII HERO with the 4790K and i have looked around and tried doing overclocks that others have had but after testing it i would always get a hardware fail...

CPU-Z - http://valid.x86.fr/2xrtdw

Here are some settings that i have tried but keep getting hardware fail...

Also i plan to upgrade to 32GB of ram. What Ram would be good for the specs i have to overclock with as well

Should i overclock after upgrading the ram?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

Nate152
Hi Rammstein874

What settings work for others may not work for you as all cpu's are not created equal, if you're getting hardware failure you likely need a little more cpu core voltage. if you can keep temps under control anything up to 1.52v is safe, stress testing temps can hit 90c but gaming temps should be no more than 75c.

G.Skill Trident X is one of the top rated ddr3 ram kits and would go nice with the maximus vii hero.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Rammstein874

What settings work for others may not work for you as all cpu's are not created equal, if you're getting hardware failure you likely need a little more cpu core voltage. if you can keep temps under control anything up to 1.52v is safe, stress testing temps can hit 90c but gaming temps should be no more than 75c.

G.Skill Trident X is one of the top rated ddr3 ram kits and would go nice with the maximus vii hero.

OK great! i will try that!

So these ones should be good? Buy 2 of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
No you don't want to mix ram kits get a single 32GB kit, if you're just gaming 16GB is plenty and no real reason to upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-PC3-19200-2400MHz-Trident-10-12-12-31/dp/B0080GKCV8

Plan to use this for gaming and streaming!

That's why i am looking to overclock this a bit and up the ram. Also plan to buy a new GPU was going to wait for bench marks for the 1080...or i was looking at some of the 980...

Nate152

NemesisChild
Level 12
What program are you using to test your overclock stability?

Suggest running RealBench benchmark to test initial stability.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Nate152 wrote:
Wait for the 1080 it will be here in a few more weeks.

Will there big a BIG difference that we will really see?

NemesisChild wrote:
What program are you using to test your overclock stability?

Suggest running RealBench benchmark to test initial stability.

Used AIDA64 Extreme.

I even tried just setting the profile to XMP and ran AIDA64 Extreme and it failed...

Now we are just running normal settings.

For streaming should i stick with the 16GB or go to 32GB?

Nate152
Yeah the 1080 is the first gpu with the pascal architecture and should be a nice leap in performance over the titan x and 980 Ti.

Aida 64 is fine to use, try raising the cpu system agent offset +.020v and see if that gets your ram stable and up to speed.

Nate152 wrote:
Yeah the 1080 is the first gpu with the pascal architecture and should be a nice leap in performance over the titan x and 980 Ti.

Aida 64 is fine to use, try raising the cpu system agent offset +.020v and see if that gets your ram stable and up to speed.

OK before overclocking should i replace the ram?

I do want to upgrade it like i said to 16 or 32.

Going to be using it for Gaming & Streaming.

You said just for gaming the 16Gb should be fine but seeing how i will be streaming should i go to 32GB? I know streaming is more on your CPU than ram but was not sure if having more would help in any way...