cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRM Cooling Advice: Formula VIII

ATG
Level 7
Hi,

My Formula VIII just arrived and I am looking for some advice regarding the VRM waterblock.

I'm reusing the radiator and case from a previous build so changing rads is not an option. The radiator is a discontinued Feser TFC X-Changer 240. Its a thick rad (62 mm with 12 FPI). You can see an image of it HERE. I know a 240 is the bare minimum size and most people use a lot more radiators these days...but for me the temps have been excellent, even while overclocking.

My loop only consists of the cpu and single gpu. The question is, if I add the VRM's to the loop will I be pushing the limits? I am not sure how much extra heat this will dump into my loop. I don't want to ruin the nice temps I have had in my previous build (i7 2700K) so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi ATG

Welcome to the ROG Forum !

Adding the crosschill block into your loop will have very little effect on temps, go ahead and add it and let us know your results. 🙂

Chino
Level 15
If you're not the type of user that stress the system for prolonged periods of time, the VRMs will not get insanely hot. 🙂

Thank you both for sharing your advice. 😉

While I can't speak for the formula viii since its still in the box, I know vrm/mosfet temps can range from 50-75C on average depending on load. I always thought that the rule to follow was: [120mm rad X number of components being cooled]. So thats why I am a bit concerned that I am lacking in radiator surface area for that extra amount of heat.

Chino wrote:
If you're not the type of user that stress the system for prolonged periods of time, the VRMs will not get insanely hot. 🙂

I was planning on oc'n to 4.5. Also, this is a gaming rig and sometimes I have sessions that are for several hours.

Nate152
That's true, one 120mm rad for each component but you can count the vrm's with the cpu, the crosschill block is a heatsink too.

Nate152 wrote:
That's true, one 120mm rad for each component but you can count the vrm's with the cpu, the crosschill block is a heatsink too.

OK you convinced me lol. Gonna add it to the loop...will report back with temps but it will be a week or two until the system is built.

Thanks again.

Nate152

Costas
Level 10
ATG - I replied to your PM...

Basically as Nate & Chino have stated - It will not add a substantial heat load to the cooling system so you should be fine....