cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane Lag during Online Gaming

Formot
Level 7
Usually I would blame the ISP or the router for such problems, but my roommates who have far less superior laptops aren't experiencing any lag at all. The drivers are up to date and I'm the only one out of the three of us who can actually utilize the 5Ghz wifi signal I have in our apartment. There's nobody else on the same channel most of the time and they never lag when I do. Can someone please help me fix this problem as soon as they can? Thanks for the help.
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Formot

How is the ping and signal strength?

t's RG6. No splitters are utilized in my apartment since I knew that would create a bit of loss. My ISP is Comcast and on average I'm hitting around 30Mbps Down and 12-15 Up. The only thing is that it has to be my computer since my flatmates aren't lagging in the slightest. Not even a little. And their computers aren't even utilizing AC Network Adapters. As far as my Router goes, I went on the upper end. I own a Nighthawk X6 R8000 and the firmware is up to date at V1.0.3.4_1.1.2. I just don't know what settings to change on my computer to create lagless play. I changed all the wireless adapter properties to match my roommates and I still lag exactly the same. As far as signal strength goes, I usually hit around -41dBm. Also, the problem is the variable ping creating the lag. For a few moments I'll be at 20ping and then it'll shoot up to 150 and slowly make it's way down. Or shoot up to 80 and do the same.

Nate152
Thank you

If you don't think it's a network problem maybe the game settings are set too high, if you have antialiasing enabled try disabling it.

Also try enabling v-sync.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you

If you don't think it's a network problem maybe the game settings are set too high, if you have antialiasing enabled try disabling it.

Also try enabling v-sync.

I own a ROG G751JT.
Screen Size 17.3 inches
Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels
Max Screen Resolution 1920*1080 pixels
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM 16 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1024 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor Nvidia GTX970M 3GB GDDR5
Chipset Brand NVIDIA
Card Description dedicated
Graphics Card Ram Size 3 MB
Wireless Type 802.11 A/C
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 4
Other Technical Details
Brand Name Asus
Series ROG G751JT
Item model number G751JT-DH72
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 8
Item Weight 8.4 pounds
Product Dimensions 12.5 x 16.4 x 0.9 inches
Item Dimensions L x W x H 12.5 x 16.4 x 0.9 inches
Color Black
Processor Brand Intel
Processor Count 4
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Flash Memory Size 256
Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type DVD SuperMulti
Audio-out Ports (#) 2
Voltage 19.5 volts
Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

Nate152
Can you try connecting to the internet with an ethernet cable? And also leave the power cord plugged in and see if this helps.

Nate152 wrote:
Can you try connecting to the internet with an ethernet cable? And also leave the power cord plugged in and see if this helps.

I know it's the network adapter card. On ethernet I have perfect ping the entire time. I'm just wondering what wireless adapter settings I need to change in order to experience the same lagless play as my roommates 😕

Nate152

Formot
Level 7
I've tried that. Whether or not I'm on the 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz, it doesn't matter. I still lag. And choosing for my card to prefer one over the other doesn't help either.

Dweezle
Level 7
My son came over and he has a program on his android phone called wifi analyzer, while playing an online game he used this tool to see what was going on when the game lagged and he said "xfinitywifi" would pop up. Comcast opts you in by default to its Xfinity public internet access and your wireless router whether you're aware of it or not is being used as a public wifi hotspot by Comcast. Follow the instructions in the link below to disable it. http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...-home-hotspot/ I turned it off and so far my son isn't lagging in his game. Also, it appears the xfinitywifi runs on the 5Ghz channel which would explain why no one else had issues