cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q set to 165Hz requires multiple tries to reboot; sleep/wake ok

GamerMan
Level 7
I received my replacement PG279Q about 30 days ago and so far so good. Picture quality, blooming, glow are all good and I also don't have that annoying line down the left margin of the screen and the screen tearing in the center.

Now on to my latest issue: Whenever the monitor is placed in 165Hz mode (my first PG279Q wouldn't stay in this mode for more than 5 seconds) and my Win 10 machine sleeps, it wakes just fine. However, when I try and reboot the machine or turn it off and turn it on later, it freezes at the bios screen. Then after holding the power button down, waiting 10 seconds and trying again, the same thing happens. After a few tries, eventually I get to the blank screen with the Windows 10 logo in the middle. Then it freezes there. A few more tries and finally, I'm back at the desktop.

Its almost as if the computer needs a running start to get to the desktop (which in reality is impossible since the only way to proceed each time is to start it again from a cold stop. This issue does not occur when Over Clocking in the PG279Q is turned off.

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

Crashcourse316
Level 9
GamerMan wrote:
I received my replacement PG279Q about 30 days ago and so far so good. Picture quality, blooming, glow are all good and I also don't have that annoying line down the left margin of the screen and the screen tearing in the center.

Now on to my latest issue: Whenever the monitor is placed in 165Hz mode (my first PG279Q wouldn't stay in this mode for more than 5 seconds) and my Win 10 machine sleeps, it wakes just fine. However, when I try and reboot the machine or turn it off and turn it on later, it freezes at the bios screen. Then after holding the power button down, waiting 10 seconds and trying again, the same thing happens. After a few tries, eventually I get to the blank screen with the Windows 10 logo in the middle. Then it freezes there. A few more tries and finally, I'm back at the desktop.

Its almost as if the computer needs a running start to get to the desktop (which in reality is impossible since the only way to proceed each time is to start it again from a cold stop. This issue does not occur when Over Clocking in the PG279Q is turned off.

Any ideas?

1. Unplug every single device on your computer except your 279 monitor. (yes remove your mouse and keyboard, also make sure you didn't have the monitor USB thing plugged in either only have the display port in. Not a single other cord other than power.). Hardboot your computer and see if the issue still exists. If this works and it doesn't freeze plug in only your mouse and keyboard and power off the computer completely. Reboot with your mouse and keyboard in like 5 times to verify that its all good. Plug in your external devices one by one to find what the troubled device is(maybe you just gotta reinstall drivers or it or something easy.)

2. if it still freezes plugin your keyboard/mouse and try resetting your BIOS settings to default(make sure you fix your boot order if it changes. Unplug keyboard and mouse and hardboot again. If this works its probably a simple BIOS setting that is causing a boot issue. flip some settings around by using your instincts and maybe you'll find the actual issue. if still freezing its safe to say that its not an issue with external devices or the BIOS settings most likely. You could try a BIOS upgrade but i wouldnt go with this step until everything else is not working.

3. If those 2 don't work it's most likely something in your current windows installation that is causing the issue. Have you done the manual installation of the drivers that come with the monitor? I know most monitors are fine with just PnP default driver but I noticed that once you install the correct drivers it will actually pick up as the correct monitor. If that doesn't work or you have already done this I would say try uninstalling all monitor drivers that you can find on your computer using device manager | View | show hidden devices | right click and uninstall everything in there even it if currently connected. reboot and see what happens (reinstall the ASUS monitor driver after the reboot, reboot again to verify).

That should give you something do to. let me know if any ofthis works. Before I returned my 4 attempted at getting a good version of this monitor it had been running windows 10 with no issues. this leads me to believe you got a local issue with your installation of windows.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
That should give you something do to. let me know if any ofthis works. Before I returned my 4 attempted at getting a good version of this monitor it had been running windows 10 with no issues. this leads me to believe you got a local issue with your installation of windows.

Dude...this is great feedback. I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks!

Sect
Level 7
try disabling the DisplayPort deepsleep option in the OSD options.

Sect wrote:
try disabling the DisplayPort deepsleep option in the OSD options.

This should not be needed. If this is your fix I would assume its a driver issue with the monitor and would suggest troubleshooting that vs changing the physical settings on the monitor. I had no issue with my deepsleep settings on or off with the 279's I tested out.

GamerMan wrote:
Dude...this is great feedback. I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks!

sounds good.

Worst case scenario which isn't really that bad would be just to reinstall your windows OS clean if you can't find the exact issue. I think windows 10 has a refresh option where it will wipe everything back to the stock windows without needing to go through all the cleaning of drives and partitioning and redoing the entire thing if you would rather not deal with the little extra work.
I haven't actually used this feature yet but was kinda curious if its actually a complete reinstall of windows or just some garbage Microsoft put in to make a standard user happy. Here are the steps if you would rather just jump straight to this.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. ...
2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Kotronas
Level 9
Did you reset the monitor? Replug the DP cable!

Kotronas wrote:
Did you reset the monitor? Replug the DP cable!

Reset the monitor? lol? Not sure what that means other than turn it off and on. Possibly you mean reset to factory settings from the OSD menu?

also replugging in probably won't do much but you could try a new DP port on the GPU and if that works then you could possibly troubleshoot the Graphics card drivers to try and get the other port working properly.

I will assume though that you fixed the issue sometime since your previous post since you have not replied to any more posts. I'll be picking up another one of these next week sometime in hopes of a newer batch than the 4 i picked up a few months ago.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Kotronas
Level 9
Factory reset yes. It may got stucked somehow on a bad setting. I had one of my pg279q that got stucked and a factory reset solved the problem.
It is like stucked high clock speeds on idle at the gpu, where disable and enable gsync solves this, on each nvidia driver update.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk