cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula VIII Compatibility: Dominator or Trident Z

ATG
Level 7
Hi,

I've read some posts where people are having issues getting memory to work properly out of the box. I am still in the process of building my new pc and would like to avoid these issues if possible. I was hoping someone could confirm if they are using one of the kits listed below with the Formula VIII. I have both kits but I need to pick one since they are both unopened.

1) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000 16 GB (2x8GB) 14-14-14-34: F4-3000C14D-16GTZ

or

2) Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000 16 GB (2x8GB) 15-17-17-35: CMD16GX4M2B3000C15

Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hi ATG

The trident z kit hands down with the tighter timings, you may need to adjust the vccio and cpu system agent voltages to get it fully stable.

I will recommend setting it manually instead of using XMP.

Chino
Level 15
The farther your stray from 2133MHz, the higher tha chances you will need to manually tweak your system to get it stable.

Costas
Level 10
Be prepared to play with the memory timings and possibly some memory related voltages....

I am running 2 kits (4 sticks) of Corsairs CMD16GX4M2B3200C16 for a total of 32GB of RAM on my Formula VIII - however I had to do some fairly intense testing and tweaking etc to ensure stability.

I ended up running my sticks @ 3100MHz but with much tighter timings of CAS14 as compared to their default of CAS16...

With your selection of only two sticks - it should be a much easier ride.

The G.Skill sticks are slighter faster due to tighter timings so go with those unless you prefer the look of the Dominators. In practice you will not notice any practical difference in speed between the two.

ATG
Level 7
Thank you all for the replies.

I wasn't really concerned about the speed because 2666 - 3000MHz is the sweet spot, (as Costas stated) anything beyond that the law of diminishing returns kicks in. Here's a good article w/ benchmarks for those interested: http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-intel-z170-finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_17...

I was more worried about compatibility with z170 boards. After reading many posts in here, corsair and other forums - I found that the majority of users having problems had Corsair memory (even after tweaking the hell out of settings). I found less posts with problems with people using G.Skill. I've always been a corsair/crucial consumer, but to play it safe I decided to stick with the TridentZ. Asthetically, I would have preferred the Dominators with the sexy light bars...:(

Nate152
The Trident Z kit is a tad faster with the tighter timings, G.Skill is one of the top ram manufactures and price/performance is about as good as it gets.

In my opinion you made the right choice and is what I would choose, I can confirm Kingston HyperX Predator works well too. 🙂

drop4205
Level 12
GSkill all I can say
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Maximus VIII Formula
Skylake 6700k cooled by Corsair H115i
64gb Gskill ddr4 3200
Strix 980ti
2 Samsung 950 Pro 512gb in raid0
Corsair HX1000i

Havnt got the cooling system ready yet but this will do for now.

Using gskill ripjaw 3200 they are beast and great price man i highly recommend these for the viii formula.

Nate152
Hi Bde135

Nice pc !

I have the maximus viii formula with 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator, it looks like you have Ripjaws V, I'm quite impressed to see 64GB at 3200MHz.

Did you struggle getting it there?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Bde135

Nice pc !

I have the maximus viii formula with 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator, it looks like you have Ripjaws V, I'm quite impressed to see 64GB at 3200MHz.

Did you struggle getting it there?

Hey thanks man, yes they are rip jaw V and no difficulty it was actually really simple and it cost 600 bucks which is not bad for 4 16 gig stick at 3200mhz. i was using 32 for this and 32 for a hero alpha but i put corsairs in the alpha and now put all 64 in this rig.

I have a question i posted in another thread maybe you guys can help me. I have two Samsung 950 Pro in Raid 0. (which was difficult for me to finally figure out) but after i did i was getting read and write speeds in the range between 2900 and 3200 which was amazing. So i decided to take a look at the Asus RAMCACHE software that came with the motherboard. I tried to see how other people were utilizing this software but i wasnt able to find much so since i have a butt load of ram i decided to put 16 gigs. I opened up Samsung Magician and ran the performance test, and this is what i got.

Can anyone explain exactly what is going on here and if there are any drawbacks to this with the 16gigs out of 64 in ramcache?