cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

460 SLI

martin_metal_88
Level 8
So, many of us know how easy or hard sli can be. My question here is can I sli a 460 1GB + a 460 768mb? And if yes, will the 1GB use only 768MB? I know Crossfire work this way but since I never worked with before using not identical card I have no clue on this one.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
In theory it should work just fine but I know that in practice people occasionally have problems due to differing firmware revisions on the cards. The only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. And yes, the bigger card should operate with less memory. If you think about it this makes sense. Since both cards are going to perform the same operations on the same scale they would both use the same amount of memory.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

ottoyu34
Level 9
the rule for multi-card nowdays are: just match the some model of GPU.
so in your case, GTX460 and GTX460 is fine.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Then it's worth to try it. I give some news as soon as I can get my hand on my friend 460 that ( according to him ) fail. Which I have high doubt. So while testing it I will throw it with my other 460:)
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

xeromist
So do you get to keep the failed 460 if you can make it work?

BTW, if it is really dead and you don't feel comfortable with a multimeter and soldering iron you should look into baking it in the oven (links available upon request). I've had many people tell me that they fixed a card that way.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
So do you get to keep the failed 460 if you can make it work?

BTW, if it is really dead and you don't feel comfortable with a multimeter and soldering iron you should look into baking it in the oven (links available upon request). I've had many people tell me that they fixed a card that way.

Soldering PCB is not a issue here 😉 That's becase this card is one of my friend card and he keep getting issue in some game. But not in other so I suspect the GPU and the whole computer XD I will have trhe pleasure to troubleshoot it later this month. If the card is working, I will ( for my own fun ) getting itin sli a few day to test how it is. He also say that if she is dead he might concider gtting my 5670 in trade for the 460 ( + cash from me for sure )
Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!

ottoyu34
Level 9
hey X, could you PM me the links? thanks