Level 7
Hi,

Some interessting findings....

I'll start with my Build:
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
Skylake 6700K running at 4500
32GB G.skill memory
ASUS Radeon 295x2 GPU
Corsair AX1500i PSU (Titanium, Digital PSU)

I think I have gotten closer to an issue I have had for a while now.. Each time I choose a profile of "Gaming mode" or "Silent mode" or "OC mode" within GPU Tweak II 1.2.2.0 my
computer will reset. (in some older GPU Tweak versions this does not happen. But they make game crash at launch.. so I need the newer)

The Bios will message on restart:
"Power supply surges detected during the previous power on"
"ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!"

After this I went into bios 1701 and "monitor" tab. Disabled the Anti surge. But I still get these resets.

The resets only appear when I actually choose one of the three modes within GPU Tweak 2... So does actuallt choosing a mode within GPU Tweak 2 cause such
a large power drop on the 12v rail of the major (AX1500i) PSU that the computer hangs and restarts... ? Im starting to think so...

A stupid but also simple fix im using now (works 70-80% of the times i try)

Set all rails to 40amp OCP within corsair link

Start GPU-Z,... Activate Render in windows mode, let the windowed render mode run for 30sec +- (confirm more amps used from 12v rails from corsair-
link software and running stable)
Now, while the GPU-Z render is running... I can actually set GPU Tweak 2 into Gaming mode.... and it works perfectly fine after...

So, When I tick one of the profiles in GPU Tweak 2 with the ASUS 295x2 GPU, (does not matter if it is silent, gaming or OC mode) it seems like the GPU for some
reason creates a under voltage (most likely not overvoltage) and the computer restarts... and the bios states above comment again...

Do I have a defect PSU ?
Is my motherboard to sensitive to surge? Why does not disabling the anti surge within bios prevent this ?

Please help, I want to come to bottom of this... 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

Impsak
Level 7
More details on attached.pdf

Updated explanation (new updated .pdf)

Chino wrote:
RMA your PSU.

Okeey ?

Is this based on the message from the ASUS motherboard bios stating power surge ?

Problem is, with older software I dont have this issue... only with the newer better Crimson drivers... and updated Tweak.

So if I RMA it... i highly doubt that "komplett" in Norway where i bought the PSU will be able to re-make the issue in their LAB.. and probably return it to me.

So maybe I need some feedback from Corsair first to attached with the RMA at least ?

Have you experienced a similar issue ?

And thanks alot for input 🙂

Impsak wrote:
Okeey ?

Is this based on the message from the ASUS motherboard bios stating power surge ?

Problem is, with older software I dont have this issue... only with the newer better Crimson drivers... and updated Tweak.

So if I RMA it... i highly doubt that "komplett" in Norway where i bought the PSU will be able to re-make the issue in their LAB.. and probably return it to me.

So maybe I need some feedback from Corsair first to attached with the RMA at least ?

Have you experienced a similar issue ?

And thanks alot for input 🙂

Or borrow another PSU from a friend to test your system. That will discard it being a PSU issue.

One more thing:
When uninstalling drivers and programs… why is there still leftovers in registry and files in Tweak folder ?

Same thing with AMDs own drivers.

People who don’t know they need to run DDUninstaller and CCleaner has big problems… sometimes.
And in this case.. also go in and manualy delete leftover files of GPU Tweak folder.. before running CCleaner.

Impsak
Level 7
I also found this on Corsairs tech-home page.

"Power Supply Surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!"
"The ASUS Anti-Surge Protection software is known to throw false positives. It would be best to disable anti-surge protection in BIOS as well as any software you may have installed related to ASUS (such as AI suite),
or other software related to anti-surge protection."
"Also, please check the voltage rails for your PSU by going to your BIOS and ensuring +3.3V, +5V, and +12V are within 5% of the values listed."
"Power Supply Surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!"
"The ASUS Anti-Surge Protection software is known to throw false positives. It would be best to disable anti-surge protection in BIOS as well as any software
you may have installed related to ASUS (such as AI suite), or other software related to anti-surge protection."
"Also, please check the voltage rails for your PSU by going to your BIOS and ensuring +3.3V, +5V, and +12V are within 5% of the values listed"

They say that ASUS anti-surge might cause false problems. (I have disabled this in bios)
But they also state that AIsuite might cause issues of Anti-surge.
I got AI Suite 3 installed also. So I will also try to uninstall AIsuite as i dont use it for anything.

Maybe AI Suite 3 has some "incorporated" anti surge software similar to the one in the bios ?

Any input is appritiated 🙂

Impsak
Level 7
Uninstalling AI Suite 3 did not make any difference.

Also, I dont get the power surge note from bios any longer after computer restarts (probably since i deactivated it)

So... now it just restarts.. If I don't follow the procedure in the above .pdf which works 7 out of 10 times.

I think it is GPU Tweak 2 issue. As I did not have this problem with AMD Crimson 15.12 and Older GPU Tweak2.

Some kind of signal in GPU tweak makes the computer reset for some reason when I try active a profile.

Impsak
Level 7
Problem FIXED... And jeezes... It is definitely ASUS GPU Tweak II version 1.2.2.0 that has made this whole problem for me....

I'm still on newest AMD Radeon Drivers 16.5.2

What I did:
Uninstall GPU Tweak II version 1.2.2.0

Download GPU Tweak II version 1.2.0.3 again...

What I did after I uninstalled 1.2.2.0 i also vent into ASUS folder... and there where a left over GPU Tweak II folder containing 2 files... I manually deleted this folder as admin.
Then I ran CCleaner... had to run registry cleaner 2 times for all registry issues to be fixed.

Now i Installed 1.2.0.3... and voila.... Its all good... Computer not resetting... Everything is working.

I have also gone back to bios and activated the power surge protection again.

ASUS:
There is a issue with GPU Tweak II version 1.2.2.0 for people with my setup.. see the attached .pdf file some posts up.
There my whole system is listed.