2-EVGA GeForce Titan X SC SLI
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case
NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
EVGA Supernova P1200 PSU
Acer Predator X34 Monitor
Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[/font

Here is my problem. I needed to clear my CMOS using the button on the rear of my Rampage 5Extreme motherboard due to a minor overclock issue and I hit the ROG connect button instead as the machine was booting up.

Now I am getting a "Secure Boot Violation" "Invalid Signature Detected. Check Secure Boot Policy In Set Up"

So I did. Everything seems to be set up correctly. The boot order has my Samsung XP 941 (boot drive) listed first and M2 is chosen.

I have tried clearing the CMOS again. I have tried booting using optimized defaults. I have tried different saved overclocked BIOS's
I have searched around and I can't see or understand what is wrong

I saw something about Secure Boot Key manager where I can clear the keys but I am not sure if this would make things better or worse so I left it alone.

So if anyone has ANY idea what I can do to fix this PLEASE let me know

Thanking you all in advance.

Question: Would installing a new BIOS help? I am on 1301 or something like that.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz
7 REPLIES 7

tobacco
Level 7
I had the same problem after I upgraded the bios to 3101.
I am not sure what exactly caused it but i cleared the secure keys from bios.
Now everything working again.

tobacco wrote:
I had the same problem after I upgraded the bios to 3101.
I am not sure what exactly caused it but i cleared the secure keys from bios.
Now everything working again.

Could you provide more details on exactly how to do that?
5930K @4.5
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Randolla wrote:
Could you provide more details on exactly how to do that?

Just enter the boot options in bios, you will see secure boot option there. when you will select it you will see clear secure keys option, just select it and press enter. If you will re install the keys you may have the same problems again.
It just happen after I upgraded my bios. I really dont know why.

I wish I saved the link but the fix for this is to goto Secure Boot in BIOS, under the BOOT tab and UNLOAD the Platform Key(PK) State. I can't remember if this automatically disables Secure Boot state. You might have to tick that as well. Interesting story behind all this, having to do with ASUS being ahead of the game and trying for compatibility with Win10. Anyway, I fussed with this for a while before I ran across this fix, AH! I just found this dialogue and it contains the info I used successfully:

Q: After installing Microsoft Update KB3133977 for Windows 7, some users may encounter a “Secure Boot Violation”, rendering the system unable to boot into the operating system.

A: To protect user systems from malware attacks, ASUS motherboards implement the Microsoft Secure Boot feature by default, in order to support Windows 10. This feature performs a legal loader check to boot into the OS. With update KB3133977, Microsoft have changed Secure Boot policies, hence the system detects inconsistent OS loader keys, resulting in boot failure.

The solution to this issue is to change UEFI Secure Boot settings as outlined in the steps below; this will allow the system to boot into the operating system successfully. Windows 7 does not require Secure boot, so the steps outlined below are perfectly safe and recommended when using this operating system.

Step 1: Enter the UEFI and navigate to Advanced Menu->Boot->Secure Boot

Step 2: Change “OS type” to “Other OS”

Step 3: Press F10 to Save and reboot

Step 4: Check the UEFI Advanced Menu->Boot->Secure Boot, and confirm the “Platform Key (PK) State” is changed to be unloaded.

Step 5: Exit the UEFI, and the system will now boot normally.

(Zelmo) I went into Installed updates and uninstalled update KB3133977

If you want to read more about this I've added this brief article explaining "why" the problem:

"One of the updates that Microsoft first released in March is causing headaches to Windows 7 customers whose computers use an ASUS motherboard due to what seems to be an incompatibility issue with Secure Boot settings.
In most of the cases, affected machines simply freeze all of a sudden, while others are getting an error pointing to a Secure Boot Violation.
“The system found unauthorized changes on your firmware, operating system or UEFI drivers. Press [OK] to run the next boot device, or enter directly to BIOS Setup if there are no other boot devices installed. Go to BIOS Setup > Advanced > Boot and change the current boot device into other secured boot device,” the displayed error message reads.
As Woody Leonhard of InfoWorld notes, it’s all because of KB3133977, an update that Microsoft first pushed to users as part of the March Patch Tuesday cycle. It was only optional at first, and despite complaints being posted online shortly after its release, Microsoft still made the update recommended in April, so everyone with a Windows 7 PC should be getting it through Windows Update.
ASUS already offers a workaround
Although the patch is still up for grabs and Microsoft hasn’t yet pulled it, reports of computers suffering from freezes after installing KB3133977 keep coming.
ASUS, on the other hand, has already posted instructions on how to disable UEFI Secure Boot on computers impacted by the problem.
“To protect user's systems from malware attacks, ASUS motherboards implement the Microsoft Secure Boot feature by default. This feature performs a legal loader check to boot into the OS. As Windows 7 does not support Secure Boot, with the update of KB3133977, the system might detect inconsistent OS loader keys, resulting in boot failure,” ASUS explains.
At the same time, it’s been reported that removing the update also solves the problem and gets computers up and running once again, but this involved additional work because users would have to boot into a different operating system and delete the patch from Windows 7 after bypassing its protection.
We’ve reached out to Microsoft to see if the company is aware of the problems experienced after KB3133977 installation and will update the article when an answer is offered."

Menthol
Level 14
What OS are you using?

Menthol wrote:
What OS are you using?

I am sorry, I left that out.

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
5930K @4.5