cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question abut fans.

smokeintheeye
Level 11
Hello all i just want to know about some fans. my friend has a laptop shop and is selling off some unused server fans. the info i have on them is this.

Manufacturer: DELTA
Model: AFB 1212HHE R00
Dimension: 120 X120 X 38 mm
Connection: 3 Pin
Air Flow: 120.07 CFM
Noise: 44 dBA
Fan Speed: 2900 PRM
Input Power: 12V / 0.70A
Weight: 0.25kg
Equipped with ball bearings

i have a 360mm rad in my pc at the min with 6 120mm Arctic F12s in push pull running off 2 powered fan splitters. so 3 fans go to 1 in cpu fan and the other 3 go into 1 into cpu out.
so will it be ok to swap them out for 6 of the delta fans and run them the same way? plus with them been 3pin dose the mean i can still control the speed in DC mode in the bios?

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks
6 REPLIES 6

smokeintheeye
Level 11
hummmm looks like i will need a 60watt Fan Controller or two 30watt ones.

Onimax
Level 8
Hi smokeintheeye,

each fan header on the RVE is able to provide 1A, so 3*0.7A=2.1A
That means at full speed you might probably (i.e. you don't neccessarily have to) blow the header - and the RVE tends to spin up the fans at each boot to full speed for a short period of time.

In theory you might be able to control the fans in DC mode.
If you really want to use these fans I recommend you put each fan into a separate header or use some 3rd party fan controller.

On the other hand 2900 rpm/44 dba is very, very loud and as fans need some min speeds toactually spin up I don't think you would be able to achieve anywhere near silent operation...
It's probably best to try it with one fan and see if you are pleased with the results.

Onimax wrote:
Hi smokeintheeye,

each fan header on the RVE is able to provide 1A, so 3*0.7A=2.1A
That means at full speed you might probably (i.e. you don't neccessarily have to) blow the header - and the RVE tends to spin up the fans at each boot to full speed for a short period of time.

In theory you might be able to control the fans in DC mode.
If you really want to use these fans I recommend you put each fan into a separate header or use some 3rd party Fan Controller.

On the other hand 2900 rpm/44 dba is very, very loud and as fans need some min speeds toactually spin up I don't think you would be able to achieve anywhere near silent operation...
It's probably best to try it with one fan and see if you are pleased with the results.

thanks for the heads up. looking at Fan Controllers now but dont think i can fined one on its own that can power all 6 fans. but will keep looking. its just he said i can have 6 fans for £30. was thinking that was cheap for delta fans.

GoNz0-
Level 10
I wouldn't bother, they have no place in home PC's You are better off with PWM fans anyway.

GoNz0- wrote:
I wouldn't bother, they have no place in home PC's You are better off with PWM fans anyway.

yer was thinking it might be a bit over kill. just a £5 each it got me thinking. might get one to see how loud it is and how much power it needs. i have 6 PWM fans in at the min but with using a splitter to make 3 go into 1 i have to use DC to do the speeds.
if i get one il report back on how it went. thanks to all for the help.

smokeintheeye wrote:
yer was thinking it might be a bit over kill. just a £5 each it got me thinking. might get one to see how loud it is and how much power it needs. i have 6 PWM fans in at the min but with using a splitter to make 3 go into 1 i have to use DC to do the speeds.
if i get one il report back on how it went. thanks to all for the help.

The R5E is more than capable of running 3 PWM fans per header, I have 140mm x3 on 2 headers (3 per rad) using PWM signal to control them so you may want to consider using them that was. Trust me a delta fan will take you back 10 years in PC noise.