cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY with PG279Q monitor

JustinThyme
Level 13
Ran across a decent deal on the ASUS PG278Q monitor and picked one up. I know the 980M cant push the 2560x1440 resolution without sacrifice. Im intending on adding an external GPU whenever someone gets off their duffs and releases one. ASUS has one that is supposed to be on the market Q2 but Q2 is darn near over. Same with Razer that was supposed to start shipping last month.
In the mean time I dont seem to be having the back light bleed issues so many complain about with the monitor. Im not saying it is without but I have to make the room pitch black, brightness at 100% and be viewing it at just the right angle to see a small spot in the lower left vertical about an inch up from bottom. Under normal circumstances and viewing angle I cant see anything.

One thing I did note was the monitor is locked on 60Hz when connected VIA HDMI. No mention of this anywhere until the monitor showed up today and I figured it out that it has to be connected VIA DP. Monitor came with a cable but the Laptop has a mini. Now run out to any store and you can get a mini DP adaptor to go to anything EXCEPT FOR FULL SIZE DISPLAY PORT!!! Best Buy guy was trying to tell me that the DP never caught on and is obsolete so they didn't carry them. I asked if they sell any top end monitors that used it, well of course not. Then the ensuing discussion of how anything with a refresh rate over 30hz is a waste because you cant see it, only response time was important. I just laughed and went on my way.
I ordered up a cable from Amazon that will be here tomorrow and see how it pans out. Would like to see it go to 165Hz, not that its important just yet but will be when a thunderbolt 3 external graphics solution is released. That with a GTX 980Ti and I should be set. Then just pull the Thunderbolt C cable and I'm portable again.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein
4 REPLIES 4

Gustave
Level 9
JustinThyme wrote:
........................................ I ordered up a cable from Amazon that will be here tomorrow and see how it pans out. Would like to see it go to 165Hz, not that its important just yet but will be when a thunderbolt 3 external graphics solution is released. That with a GTX 980Ti and I should be set. Then just pull the Thunderbolt C cable and I'm portable again.

Or with a GTX 1080 🙂

I am also awaiting the Thunderbolt 3 hardware. It's still pending for certification. Ordered a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter 2 months ago. It's scheduled for July now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JustinThyme
Level 13
July would be nice. Not too far way.
When the cable came in today, plugged it in and SHAZAM! 165Hz refresh and the G sync monitor detected notification popped up.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just ran FireStrike in default and it actually improved with G Sync enabled. Normally I drop 200 points with it enabled. Of course that was at default settings which is 1920x1080. Went back and did a custom run at full resolution of the monitor (2560x1440) and got about what I expected, dropped 2K points.

Yeah I might just wait for the pascal to come out, probably be released about the same time or close to that of the XG2

JustinThyme wrote:
Just ran FireStrike in default and it actually improved with G Sync enabled. Normally I drop 200 points with it enabled. Of course that was at default settings which is 1920x1080. Went back and did a custom run at full resolution of the monitor (2560x1440) and got about what I expected, dropped 2K points.

Yeah I might just wait for the pascal to come out, probably be released about the same time or close to that of the XG2

I'm looking to do the same thing with my G752VT. Can you point me to the mini-DP adapter you bought on Amazon please?

Are you still using the G-Sync on the external monitor?