cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo Boost Technology 3.0 question

The_Veterant
Level 7
@ the Egg their is the X99-Deluxe II, on the Specifications tab it mention that supports CPU w/ Turbo Boost Technology 3.0, next to it says "Supported CPU Technologies". Now my question is what CPU that fix on this socket motherboard that currently use or will use the turbo technology 3.0 or this is one of the David Copperfield tricks, now U see it and now U don't.
As far as I know the turbo boost technology its related to the CPU, M'I right?, if it is tied to the CPU what kind of CPU will use TB 3.0 or they meant Thunderbolt 3.0.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132831&cm_re=asus_x99_motherboard-_-13-132-...
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄
12 REPLIES 12

cekim
Level 11
The Veterant wrote:
@ the Egg their is the X99-Deluxe II, on the Specifications tab it mention that supports CPU w/ Turbo Boost Technology 3.0, next to it says "Supported CPU Technologies". Now my question is what CPU that fix on this socket motherboard that currently use or will use the turbo technology 3.0 or this is one of the David Copperfield tricks, now U see it and now U don't.
As far as I know the turbo boost technology its related to the CPU, M'I right?, if it is tied to the CPU what kind of CPU will use TB 3.0 or they meant Thunderbolt 3.0.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132831&cm_re=asus_x99_motherboard-_-13-132-...

Good question, I am not aware of a "3.0" standard, but in truth, it involves the cpu and pch at a minimum with SVID and all that nonsense all coming into play.

Could be a brainfart - confusing thunderbolt/usb 3.0 and turbo boost 2.0, or maybe intel has bumped it a rev without making it very public since it hasn't formally released them?

They have definitely made changes to the power-management scheme with haswell and then broadwell and again skylake... They've reduced the window of time between states and shifted the burden from software to hardware in various instances to speed the movement from one state to another.

So, curious to see if someone has heard something I have not that would impact broadwell MB choices?

The_Veterant
Level 7
@CEKIN, but have you seen the link that I posted, I have check the Intel Arc for the new CPU that came out and none of them have TB3.0, maybe the I7 series but I dough that or maybe is a new features on ASUS motherboard now, like they did came out with the OC socket.

Menthol
Level 14
I also cannot find anything on this but the new CPU's should be available on the 7th. Intel boosts cores individually which hasn't been a concern for me but may be for some applications

Menthol wrote:
I also cannot find anything on this but the new CPU's should be available on the 7th. Intel boosts cores individually which hasn't been a concern for me but may be for some applications

Menthol, you saw the promo specs of the board, right? What you think about that, it is a typo or new feature.

Menthol
Level 14
This is the only thing I could find, I don't know if only some boards support this as I didn't see it listed in the Strix X99 specs, haven't checked specs on other manufacturers boards
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2473346

Just checked the Strix x99 download page, under utilities so it may work on other ASUS X99 board with BW-E

Description Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver V1.0.0.1023 for Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver V1.0.0.1024 for Windows 10 64-bit.
File Size 18.16 MBytesupdate 2016/05/05

TB 3.0 is a feature specific to Broadwell-E. Stay tuned !

linxeye wrote:
TB 3.0 is a feature specific to Broadwell-E. Stay tuned !

I had seen enhancements WRT voltage per core, shorter windows for state movement, registers for the OS to set thresholds that the hardware will interpret rather than letting OS decide such things (because it would be to slow) and some instructions previously forced the core (or all cores) into lower power states...

None of that was described as a "turbo boost 3.0" standard, but I can see how/why they might.

None of that required MB changes though, which is what I am wondering (whether there will be anything to gain as long as X99 is the chipset).

After another weekend fighting PCIe limitations and m.2 wonk, I am ready for improvements there, but x99 is the bottleneck for the most part.

X99 is what it is. A server class chipset repurposed as an entusiast one with the serious limitations we all know. Since the platform doesn't evolve... we'll have to bear with X99 for another year or so. I bet TB 3.0 is entirely software (BIOS and driver) and will be limited to BW-E (no backport to Haswell-E :().

linxeye wrote:
X99 is what it is. A server class chipset repurposed as an entusiast one with the serious limitations we all know. Since the platform doesn't evolve... we'll have to bear with X99 for another year or so. I bet TB 3.0 is entirely software (BIOS and driver) and will be limited to BW-E (no backport to Haswell-E :().

See above, my understanding was that BW's power management was largely shifted to hardware so that 20ms->multi-second windows imposed by software management were replaced by ~3ms windows controlled by threshold registers written by software, but managed by hardware.

All this will be a giant yawn for the most part at the top-end, but accumulated heat and dissipating that heat is still an issue for day-to-day OC.

So, nothing to port back to haswell at all.

Intel's press swag early on in the mobile deployment of BW talked of this as a means of getting momentary bursty, high-clock rate performance without eating the battery.