Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Smile

Two days with 0044 and no random restart.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kriminal73 View Post
    Two days with 0044 and no random restart.
    Where i can download this bios 0044?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Same here

Hi, all!

I've been fighting with this issue for months, and here's what I've learned:

* I've tried two different, brand-new R5E/U3.1 units and they were both afflicted with the same issue
    * I've isolated the memory (i.e. used different / less memory), and it's not the cause
    * I've isolated the video cards (i.e. used different), and they're not the cause
    * I've isolated the PSU (used two different PSUs), and it's not the cause
    * I've isolated the power feed to the PSU (both direct-to-wall and through-UPS), and it's not the cause
    * I've *not* isolated the CPU, but I have no reason to suspect that it's the cause

Importantly, in researching this issue I found that the ASUS ROG Surge Protector can be a contributing factor because it seems to be overzealous and this can cause stability issues. However, turning it off had no effect in restoring full stability - I've had many crashes all the while the surge protector was OFF. Whether it's safe or not to turn off: ASUS support told me directly over the phone that it's safe to turn it off if there's a Voltage Regulator feeding the PSU (i.e. like my UPS has), or the PSU has its own OVP/OCP mechanisms (mine does). Otherwise, they recommend keeping it on.

At this point, this is what I've concluded:

* The reboots aren't "hard" reboots (i.e. same as pressing the reset button), but instead are power-cycles: everything shuts down (PSU included), and powers up again.
    ** This type of power-cycle can also be seen when performing a BIOS update, or BIOS-chip switch (via BIOS menus).
    * They events are completely random - load is not a factor, heat is not a factor, voltage is not a factor, connected devices don't appear to be factors
    * The issue happens irrelevant of O/S in use (I run both Windows 10 and Linux)

At this point I'm out of ideas. ASUS may think that RMA-ing the board is a solution, but as I said: two different, brand-new boards had the same behavior. Either their QA is truly shoddy, or I'm extremely unlucky. Or the most likely reason: there's an issue with the board in general.

I'm all ears for ideas and suggestions, especially from any ROG Gurus out there. I should also add that I installed 3402 this morning, and not 2 hours after installing and everything running normally, I had an instance of the event. So I can confirm that 3402 doesn't fix anything.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Can you run 2101, that one was universally stable for everyone.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I don't know - does that version support the I7 5930K?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by GoatHumper View Post
    I don't know - does that version support the I7 5930K?
    That's what I have, worked like a charm.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
    That's what I have, worked like a charm.
    My concern is: what about the other "stability fixes" from the newer versions? Do we know what those are about? Mind you: I just want to understand what I'd be giving up with the older BIOS. I had also planned to buy a latest-gen CPU soon, and using the older BIOS likely would preclude that.

Thoughts?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I can confirm that 2101 is also affected. I left two computers running overnight, connected to the same UPS unit, and the R5E computer rebooted just past midnight. The other computer reached morning intact. This rules out a power outage as a potential cause.

I'm moving back to 3402, and hoping that ASUS fixes this before I have to switch brands (to EVGA or some such).

ROG Enthusiast Array

That's odd because I've had the R5E since launch and I never had a single restart with any bios other than the 3xxx series. I used 2101 for many months, alone. I also have a 5930k.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Qwinn PC Specs
    Qwinn PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme - BIOS 3301
    Processor5930K @ 4.4 GHz Adaptive 1.27v / 4.2 Ghz cache Offset +0.27v / Input 1.92v / LLC7
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 32gb DDR4-2666Mhz 15-15-15-35-CR2 1.2v at XMP settings
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Gaming G1 980Ti OC to 1455Mhz Core 8000Mhz memory at Stock Voltage
    Graphics Card #2Gigabyte Gaming G1 980Ti SLI
    MonitorROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Intel 750 PCIe 1.2TB
    Storage #2Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate (360" rad AIO)
    CaseThermalTake v71 Full Tower
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
    Keyboard Saitek Eclipse II
    Mouse Razer A5090 Master of Destiny
    OS Windows 10 Professional 64 bit Build 10586

And just to complicate matters, I've never had a restart during normal operation such as you guys describe on any BIOS, 2xxx or 3xxx. I'm also on a 5930k. Weird.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast