cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G752vy vs Asus G751jy

Simao
Level 7
Hi guys. I will buy a new gaming laptop, but i have a few doubts. I hope you can help me.
So, im thinking in a Asus G752vy or a Asus G751Jy.
The both models have 1 Tb HD 7.200 rpm and 256 Gb SSD. Also, they have GTX 980M 4Gb gddr5.

First doubt:
The first doubt is with the ram memory. The G752vy have ddr4 memory, and the G751jy have DDR3L.
Is any difference in the performance for gaming? Wich memory is better?

Second doubt:
This doubt put me thinking a lot. The G752vy have a i7 6700HQ processor (2,6 ghz - 3,5 ghz), and the G751Jy have a i7 4720HQ (2,6 ghz - 3,6 ghz).
Some web sites says that the old cpu is better, because the turbo 3,6 ghz, ... but other sites says that the new cpu, i7 6700hq is better, because is the last generation.
I really dont know. What this processors is better? The bigger clock of the older model means that he is better and faster for gaming?

The final doubt:
The last doubt is with de G-sync. The G752vy says that have G sync, but the G751jy dont says nothing. The G751jy model that i have seen, its with the windows 10.
All G751jy models with the windows 10 have G sync included or have to referer that in the specs? The G sync its important for the performance?

Sorry for the english, and thanks to every one.
22 REPLIES 22

Ancients
Level 10
DDR4 vs DDR3 RAM isn't going to have too much of an impact on gaming or everyday performance. You might see some slightly better performance on things like rendering, but even that will meet a bottleneck because of the mobile CPUs.

The 6700HQ and 4720HQ are really close to one another in terms of performance. The difference is going to be that the 6700HQ is going to be more power efficient, which is good because the G752VY battery is about 3/4 the capacity of the G751JY's battery. I've used both a G751JY and a G752VT and they both have similar battery life. 2-3.5 hours on light browsing with some video watching. You would get maybe 1-1.5 hours of gaming on either.

Both of the laptops have g-sync built in(so long as you are not purchasing the 2014 model of the G751JY).

I will make some other notes. The G752 series has dust-channeling fans which should prevent some dust buildup in the machine, leading to less cleaning being needed and a longer lifespan. The G752VY also has vapor-chamber cooling while the G751JY does not, which will mean better performance while under load. The G751JY might have a higher clock rating, but better cooling could be the thing that makes the difference. Another note is on build quality. I just looked at the G751JY on Amazon and all of the old reviews are gone, which is suspicious. There were many people that were complaining about their G751JYs being faulty in some way, myself included. Mine had a bad fan, and it wasn't a problem that was fixed after sending it in for repairs. I returned it for the G752VT and have been happy with the decision, even with the less powerful graphics card. There is a reason the G751JY costs so much less than the G752VY, and part of it is build quality.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Valid points but negligible.

The CPU and memory single biggest changes are lower power consumption. You can read a million reviews, they all say something different on performance depending on where the reviewers bias resides but they all conclude the the Skylake platforms lower power consumption. One added plus if you need it for memory intensive applications like video editing or batch processes the skylake can go to 64GB of RAM where the Maxwell is maxed at 32GB. CPU and memory speeds are negligible. 100Mhz give or take on the CPU isnt going to amount to a hill of beans. You are talking about a whopping 2% of the total clocks. Now for memory speed I managed to get the G751 to 2133Mhz and the G752 to 2400Mhz. Benchmarks differences are negligible as the higher the clocks go the latency climbs with it.

Both have G Sync unless the G751 you are looking at is very old stock on the G751.

G752 runs cooler, period no arguments to be made from anyone. Both the lower wattage CPU and the improved cooling system keeps temps even under heavy load well below the G751.

G752 can run two NVMe M2 SSDs in RAID0. G751 only has a single M2 slot and does not conform to the lastest NVMe drives.

Summary.....
The CPU, GPU and RAM are negligible except you can go the 64GB on the G752. The G752 runs cooler, The G752 spanks the G751 on SSD performance.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Simao
Level 7
Thanks guys for the help. But, im still affraid with cpu.
So, for gaming, the turbo clock of the i7 4720HQ , 3,6 ghz, its is better for play? Bring any benefits, in spite off the turbo of the 3,5 ghz?
Because i´ve found this.

i7 4720HQ

4 cores: 3.4 GHz
2 cores: 3.5 Ghz
1 core: 3.6 Ghz

i7 6700HQ

4 cores: 3.1 GHz
2 cores: 3.3 Ghz
1 core: 3.5 Ghz

About the GPU, is any difference any gaming performance, a improvement between the 980M 4 Gb, and 980M 8 Gb?

Thanks

Simao wrote:
Thanks guys for the help. But, im still affraid with cpu.
So, for gaming, the turbo clock of the i7 4720HQ , 3,6 ghz, its is better for play? Bring any benefits, in spite off the turbo of the 3,5 ghz?
Because i´ve found this.

i7 4720HQ

4 cores: 3.4 GHz
2 cores: 3.5 Ghz
1 core: 3.6 Ghz

i7 6700HQ

4 cores: 3.1 GHz
2 cores: 3.3 Ghz
1 core: 3.5 Ghz

About the GPU, is any difference any gaming performance, a improvement between the 980M 4 Gb, and 980M 8 Gb?

Thanks

Hey Simao, don't worry about the processor frequencies. Check the below quote from Notebookcheck's G752VY review:

The i7-6700HQ is more than sufficient for modern games.

So don't worry about the processor. It's plenty enough for now. The other key points mentioned above by members are important. So just consider that.

About the VRAM on the GPU, there WON'T be any differences in graphics performance. The 8 GB would prove helpful when you're bumping up the in-game textures to the very max.
Although I have never experienced any VRAM shortages myself, it looks like newer games like Doom takes advantage of it when you want the best textures possible. Except for it, the 4GB performs every bit the same as the 8GB version.

So, all it comes down to the price. If you can afford G752, simply go for it. If not, the G751 is a VERY capable machine as well without all the latest bells and whistles. Unless you're a power user, you won't notice the performance difference at all (CPU, RAM and GPU).

Anthony566
Level 9
Whilst this has absolutely no impact what so ever on performance IMO I do like the style and finish on the G752 over the G751 ......

I have used both the G752 & G751 and found no real noticeable difference for how I used my G752 .... Both very capable machines..

Simao
Level 7
I´ve found a good G752VY, but he dont have bluray. The G751 that i´ve seen have. The G752 came with dvd. It is normal the G752VY dont have bluray, or not? Or, that it depends of the laptop version? Is good have bluray?
Now, the fact of have bluray or dvd, is the only thing that are divide me between the two models.
Im sorry, i dont understand much of this things.

toronto699
Level 13
cheaper G752 model specs don't have bluray , I use the bluray for movies and BluRay Disks from a Sony Beta Camera , I prefer a bluray Drive .

toronto699 wrote:
cheaper G752 model specs don't have bluray , I use the bluray for movies and BluRay Disks from a Sony Beta Camera , I prefer a bluray Drive .

and for gaming, it is important the bluray? There any games that came in bluray disc?
Because, bluray only for see movies ins´t important for me

Simao wrote:
and for gaming, it is important the bluray? There any games that came in bluray disc?
Because, bluray only for see movies ins´t important for me

No, Simao. None of the PC games come in Blu-ray, period. They come in DVD and also as a Digital distribution via Steam, Origin, UPlay etc. So, if you don't watch movies, you're better off without a Blu-ray.

Also, yes the G752 has different variations around the world. The last 4 digits determine the version that your country is selling. For example, I bought mine in the US and the model is G752VY - DB72. Here the DB72 denotes the version and it came with a Blu-ray drive by default.

In the end, you can always buy an external writer if you need one in the future. For example, have a look at the one below:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-External-Blu-ray-SE-506CB-RSBD/dp/B00JJGFRIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

Though it doesn't have any stellar reviews, I just wanted you to show how they look like. The prices range from $35 USD to $100 USD. I use one myself, but it was bought long back before I had the G752.