cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Device Over Current Status Detected + Device LED illumination

Chris______
Level 7
I had this fault and now the board is dead, well it boots up the screen with asus and press f2 but just freezes from here.

Some times im able to enter bios thats like 1 of 100 times now, and when i do, its like lagging and mouse feels wird and slow and then it freezes.

At the same time on the mb, the device led lights up constantly, and im not able to get rid of it.

It used to work fine, before i got this USB Device Over Current Status Detected, 12 secunds bla bla.

I tryed everything, ill try to sum it up here.

Other:

Ram
CPU
PSU
GFX
Cables
Reset bios
Take batt out for several days.
Let it rest
Not using USB for mouse and keyboard.

I tryed register it at asus but have no box were SN is.

It is bought on ebay from US, and im in EU.

This is my 2. board witch is going jolo, just about had it with asus crosshair V formula Z.

Any advice?

Regards Chris
5 REPLIES 5

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Chris______ 😉

Have you tried disconnecting all USB connections to see if there is a cable short.
Also check your IO panel on the rear as you may have a short due to IO retention prongs shorting USB contacts.

Should you still not find the short, you will have to bench-test outside the case.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Chris______ 😉

Have you tried disconnecting all USB connections to see if there is a cable short.
Also check your IO panel on the rear as you may have a short due to IO retention prongs shorting USB contacts.

Should you still not find the short, you will have to bench-test outside the case.

Thanks for reply.

I did try disconnecting all USB connections, blow air in holes of USB and so forth.

I also tryed to remove the I/O panel before, no result still same problem.

I also tryed benching outside the case, no luck.

As you see, i think i pretty much tryed everything.

I came through to ASUS for the RMA, but must say im running my head against the wall with this company.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Describe how you bench tested outside the case. In situations like this and bench testing is required, it is best to have the system in a minimum state.
Just power to the MB, one boot drive with OS installed, 1 DIMM in first slot.
Start the system and follow your Qcodes adding one hardware component at a time, rebooting each time until you find the hardware causing the issue.

Do a CHKDSK on your drives to eliminate the possibility of disk error.

Buying on Ebay from US is a big gamble as you don't know the condition of the item you are getting and also for warranty purposes. (especially so if the unit is second hand)

Good luck and I hope you resolve the problem.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Describe how you bench tested outside the case. In situations like this and bench testing is required, it is best to have the system in a minimum state.
Just power to the MB, one boot drive with OS installed, 1 DIMM in first slot.
Start the system and follow your Qcodes adding one hardware component at a time, rebooting each time until you find the hardware causing the issue.

Do a CHKDSK on your drives to eliminate the possibility of disk error.

Buying on Ebay from US is a big gamble as you don't know the condition of the item you are getting and also for warranty purposes. (especially so if the unit is second hand)

Good luck and I hope you resolve the problem.

Noone else got this problem i guess so it went to the trashcan

I just had this issue on ROG maximum XI WiFi hero.
Unplugged all usb devices and header cables, still got error.
Checked ports on reverse for debris, bent pins, nothing was wrong I could see.

ASUS doing RMA on device, yay! That 3 year warranty is great.*