cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 6700k

LionAlonso
Level 7
Hi everyone;
I have recently buy a new pc with the maximus hero vii and the i7 6700k, i putted the bios in xmp mode and it put my ram at 2400 and my procesor at 4.2 GHz all cores and 4.1 cache.
the thing is it was at 1.33 or so vcore, and now here in spain its summer i dont want to suffer a lot so i have putted adaptative voltaje to 1.180 and +0.005, but in benchmarks it gets to 1.216v idk what or where is the problem.
Btw my cooler is the corsair h80igt and during benchmarks it dont get too hot but when playing a game my 980ti put the wate hot and the temeperature of the wáter is more or less at 44 grades and the top temperature of the core is 65 grades ( 2 hours or more playing).i have my corsair h80igt to a máximum of 2100 rpm, in order to not make any noise.
Im very noob about BIOS and that so wath am i doing wrong? why my vcore is more than what i put in BIOS adaptative mode?
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi LionAlonso

Welcome to the ROG forum,

I'll take it 1.80v is a typo otherwise you would have got a cpu overvoltage error.

It's normal for your cpu to draw a little more voltage than what you set but to counter act this you can use adaptive mode with an offset like you're doing and/or also lower the LLC (Load Line Calibration) to level 1, on auto it's likely contributing to the voltage overshoot.

LLC is found on the extreme tweaker tab in the DiGi+ section at the top.

You're doing the right thing by finding the lowest possible stable voltage, 64c is the max safe voltage for the 6700k, so while 65c is ok your temps will drop if you're able to run at a lower voltage.

Try this and give us an update if you have any questions please ask. 🙂

Chino
Level 15

First of all thanks guys for the help.
I have done as you said and put llc to 1 (i dont understand what it putted in BIOS instructions about Vdroop) but i putted it in 1, then i putted the adaptative voltaje at the same 1.180 and an offset of +0.001.
the thing is the cpu continues taking 1.216 v at máximum,(alsuite 3 and cpui-z Reading) but its strange becuse the max voltaje is not when i stress cpu, is when i bench cpu (single thread) so only one thread waste more voltaje tan all the cpu? strange.
Any more advices to try not to go up to 1.216 volts?
What about trying just an negative offset instead of adaptative mode?
Edit: i have putted adapative 1.200 with negative ofsset of 0.020 in order to get the same 1.180 and know when strees test it is bettwenn 1.152-1.168 (at 4.2 GHz all cores) idk if this is real or it have some problems, this is very strange.

Nate152

EasyLover
Level 8
That is strange. I'm using mild Overclock of 4.4GHz at 1.264 Vcore. I've set the Vcore to Adaptive with 1.265 as Override Max CPU Voltage and at idle it is sitting around 0.7xx to 1.14 depending upon the background apps working and download. Offset is +. If negative offset is working for you, stick with it. My LLC is at 5 as of now.
Live your life the way you want, not the way others want!

I have applied a negative adapative offset of -.035 with a boost of 1.20v, still sometimes get more than it has to (1.184v) but i think like this is ok.
And yes is kinda strange, i readed adaptative couldnt be less than stock vcore or sth like that.
but i think the main problem is during gaming my 980 ti warms the wáter of the corsair h80igt because in a normal stress test it dont get even close to 55 for hours...