cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow NIC throughput, Little help?

EhnTeePee
Level 7
Greetings.
I inherited this MoBo and it's CPU and Ram.
Currently it runs without issue, it can handle everything I throw at it.
The only issue I have is that I am on a 50mb dn/25mb up, which on my 2008 Alienware that hasn't had a bios update since 2009 running the same OS gets me 150+mb dn/30+mb up, this machine will not get more than 20mb dn and 11mb up.

I have tried so many things that my experience said I should check:

Hardware(cables, modem everything from my house to pole and beyond *Comcast rewired the whole neighborhood 8 months ago) to and from pc=good
Software(running the latest bios build I think) windows 10 64bit =good
No viruses, background network bandwidth hogs, nothing.

I have a link to my ROG CPU-Z validation for all the ' number data '.

I built this rig to game and to eventually stream, can someone give me a hand?

Thanks.

ROG CPU-Z Vaalidation link below

The Green Monster
6 REPLIES 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi EhnTeePee and Welcome to ROG 😄

Test the NIC or adapter. Do you have another computer or friends laptop. If so you can transfer data on your local network to determine if the problem is local or beyond your Router.
If the NIC (Network interface card) on the MB is failing, you can get a PCI Network Card card and install it yourself or you may want to update your MB.
CVFZ is a good MB for your Phenom II.

Test your ping rate to check for lost packets or use a packet sniffer.

There are other ways to determine network speed using your command prompt. Google for it.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks Mean.

It's an onboard nic, only one port.
I've used Megapath's speadtest+ and I get no jitter, and no packet loss.
The other machine running has no probs in this regard, it rips in fact.
Looks like I will need to get Nic.

thanks for the reply.

MeanMachine
Level 13
No problem M8. Let us know how you go.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Well, not sure how or why the Jumbo Packet settings was enabled, switched it off and now 180mb down and 11mb up. I feel pretty stupid as I am no newb to device settings.

Now, looks like I need to figure out what is holding back the upload, any thoughts?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Glad to here you have had some success EhnTeePee.

Well, uploading is notoriously slow depending on the site you upload to. (restrictions to external site), If Torrenting you can set to max unrestricted.
Your ISP may be restricting. Go here: http://www.howtogeek.com/165481/how-to-test-if-your-isp-is-throttling-your-internet-connection/

If your streaming with Twitch, expect some initial issues. If this is your intent then join Twitch and follow streamers like DocGotGames. He is very informative.
When streaming it is best to have dual monitors.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Glad to here you have had some success EhnTeePee.

Well, uploading is notoriously slow depending on the site you upload to. (restrictions to external site), If Torrenting you can set to max unrestricted.
Your ISP may be restricting. Go here: http://www.howtogeek.com/165481/how-to-test-if-your-isp-is-throttling-your-internet-connection/

If your streaming with Twitch, expect some initial issues. If this is your intent then join Twitch and follow streamers like DocGotGames. He is very informative.
When streaming it is best to have dual monitors.

Roger that, Mean.

I appreciate the advice.
Thing is, same connection, different PC(far lesser specs in every way) gets the same down, but double and sometime triple the up-speed.
I use megapath to verify my connection speeds as they have servers nearby.
I am going to look through the settings on the nic in the Alienware and see what stands out.

As for Streaming, yup I have two extra monitors and plenty pf vram to go around.
I gave been watching some streamers for years now, summit1g(CSGO), QuickyBaby,(world of tanks), Lucky and Buttwipe(destiny) and about 3 dozen others.
I know I am late to the train, but pretty sure I can get to where I am going with some effort.

Again Mean, thanks.

p.s. I know it is just 1 setting, I am sure that is going to be the dam-breaker for the upload when I see it.