cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to STRIX X99 board?

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Wondering how many of you will upgrade to the new STRIX X99 board? Seems like it has better connectivity features, better audio, 5 way optimization so probably better power delivery, etc. Looks like an all around upgrade to the RVE for less money.
11 REPLIES 11

jrmcdou
Level 10
It's an upgrade in some features but still a downgrade from the RVE. It's a mid range board with pretty lights. The Deluxe II is a better board. If you want an upgrade from the RVE you should wait for the Rampage V Edition 10. That would be a true upgrade. Just look at the Youtube video where PC Partpicker did an interview with Asus and the Asus rep went over in detail of the -A, Strix and Deluxe II boards. It's about 1.5 hrs long but a very informative video. You can then compare the strix features to the current RVE and realize it's not a real upgrade. Like the -A board the Strix is more geared towards someone with one graphics card hence the single Safeslot and is standard ATX. The E-ATX RVE and the new Edition 10 will be more OC aggressive.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Spartanjet
Level 7
I really wish they had a formula version like they have for the z170 or the previous rampage iv formula. I like the Rampage Extreme but it has all that unnecessary sub zero stuff which I will never use and drives up the price of the board. I'd expect the latest R5E will be $600+. A formula with a focus on gaming/overclocking/water cooling would be perfect like it was with the rampage iv formula.

Brighttail
Level 11
Fully agreed here. Much of the current RVE contents are based around the sub-zero community, which I suppose is a niche and thus they need a board for them, I just wish it wasn't this board.

I wish they had a RVE board for SLI folks, who love to game and overclock and a special Sub-zero version. It will never happen as it would cost them more money and they probably wouldn't get their R&A back on it.

The Strix board is pretty and has some nice features. The only downside for me is the lack of safepci port for the second SLI card. Why they didn't add is I have no idea. I don't know of anyone who has one of these boards with their 6-8 cores and DON'T have a second GPU.

For me i wouldn't mind the Strix board because I honestly don't believe that the RVE board that will come out will be any better in overclocking than the Strix unless you are doing sub-zero cooling. That being said, i don't think there is enough new stuff to warrant "upgrading". The only other thing that interests me is the dedicated pump fan header, but I can live without it.

Personally I have a friend with a x99 Deluxe and the -a version and they can overclock and do everything that I can do with my board. The only thing that I have above them is the audio and frankly I can't tell if there really is any big difference. I don't need/use the overclocking do-dad that comes with this MB.

All In all i think it is more money for the ROG brand. As Linus and Jay from Jayztwocents say, RVE aren't owned by enough people for them to do proper testing on, so in the end the user ends up being the beta tester for many things. The Deluxe and -A versions have more people buying them and are often more solid choices. I know I'll never to RVE again, not worth it for me. Hell I may never go Asus again with their horrible tech support.

I've been needing an RMA for this MB for 3 months and they haven't had any in stock so I'm left with a MB that isnt functioning properly, they can't get a replacement and refuse to give me a new one. yay me.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

jrmcdou
Level 10
Yeah when I buy an Asus motherboard I pretty much cringe and pray it's good. That's why I test the heck out of it the first 30 days. It's a good idea to opt for another warranty like Newegg's or Squaretrade. Not sure if they kick in right away though. I want the new board for the dual U.2 ports and 4 3.0 x16 safeslots that the other boards don't have. So I will either get an Intel 2.5 U.2 drive(s), Samsung 950 Pro or Toshiba/OCZ RD400 with the Angelbird PX1 pcie heatsink adapter. I've never had a DOA or board go bad on me from Asus so that's why I keep coning back.
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Sprayingmango
Level 10
The STRIX has 3 safeslots and supports 2way / 3way SLI. It also has better storage controllers, supports more storage modes, has better audio, newer audio and LAN chipsets, has improved Digi+ power delivery and supports 5 way optimization.

How is this not better than an RVE for 90% of the people that buy an RVE and don't use the Sub Zero nonsense? Seems like a high end board that's an upgrade for most people.

Spartanjet
Level 7
I only see one safeslot (the one that has the metal reinforcement).

The thing that bugs me about the strix is why have "stickers" when the board has RGB everywhere already. Why not use the RGB lighting like the R5E obviously does. Makes the board seem cheap imho.

linxeye
Level 8
Interestingly, the USB seems to be mapped differently thus potentially solving/alleviating the many issues we had with RVe and USB... 🙂 BTW there's only one SafeSlot which is something I don't understand at all. At the very least there should be two safe slot. Not just one...

Menthol
Level 14
I think the Strix will become one of there most popular X99 boards, everything most people want for a high end gaming system at a lower price than the Extreme boards, essentially a X99 Formula
we seem to have gotten along until now without safe slots, I wouldn't make that a determining factor over quality components, and the features/looks that you want for your system

jrmcdou
Level 10
The Rampage V Edition 10 will be the true upgrade to the RVE and that's what I'm waiting for. Also these mid range boards don't have dual bios which is a deal breaker for my by itself. And the clear cmos button is not on the rear I/O. Not a deal breaker but annoying.
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
Win 10 Pro x64