cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PC won't start anymore :(

dorianbz
Level 7
Hello everybody

I have a problem that never happened to me.

Yesterday my PC worked fine, I shut it down, gone to sleep...

Today after work, I push the power button.... nothing happen, I pushed it several time, nothing.

I look at my MoBo, I see the leds of my two graphic card (2 asus strix 980TI)

The Start and reset buttons of my MoBo are light on (Asus rampage IV), I pushed those buttons...nothing.

It's very strange, the MoBo is powered, my PSU seems to work correctly (My GC are powered on) (PSU:corsair AX1200i)

What would you advice to me to perform some tests?

Maybe a short circuit somewhere?

I plan to do :

- disconnect all the cables from the PSU except the MoBo to see what happen, if still not good remove the GC and memory)
-Make a self test of the PSU wit(h all cable disconnected (except the power socket of course)

There are other things I could do?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi dorianbz 😄

In the top right of your MB are your debug or Qcode LEDs. Observe and report where it stops during post cycle.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi dorianbz 😄

In the top right of your MB are your debug or Qcode LEDs. Observe and report where it stops during post cycle.

Hi MeanMachine

There is no code! It just don't start! the start button has no effect.

But the MoBo is enlighted

Nate152
Hi dorianbz

No code from the motherboard either points to a faulty psu or motherboard, you could remove the motherboard from the case and set it up on the box it came in with minimal components and see if you can get it to post.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi dorianbz

No code from the motherboard either points to a faulty psu or motherboard, you could remove the motherboard from the case and set it up on the box it came in with minimal components and see if you can get it to post.

Hi

I'll try several tests indeed.

PS: I search similar issue and I found this : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33978-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Will-not-TURN-ON

Low CMOS battery may cause this kind of problem, replacing it could fix the problem (I really hope)

I'll let you know

Nate152
Yes you can try a new cmos battery and hopefully this is all you need, give us an update when you get a new one installed. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
Yes you can try a new cmos battery and hopefully this is all you need, give us an update when you get a new one installed. 🙂

Update: Another hint use a hairdryer :eek::eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNeP8Kkl9s&feature=youtu.be

Nate152 wrote:

Unfortunatelly It didn't fix the problem 😞

Hairdryer neither

I disconnected all the cable of the PSU and the self test failed ! It's a surprise ! The PSU give power to the MoBo and GC
I guess something is wrong inside it

I installed this PSU 2 wseeks ago, I did a sleft test before installation and it worked (green led + PSU FAN ON)

So i'm good for RMA 😕

Nate152
I don't think a hairdryer will bring back the Q-code but you can try the cmos battery, I got my fingers crossed. 🙂

totalrognoob
Level 7
Now I want to mess with it. Which brand of power supply is it? Have you got a multimeter? If you have, see if the green wire is at +5 relative to a black wire. If the LEDs light, that indicates that the 5VSB rail works.

Now, it could be that the 12V rail is toast(not likely), but that would normally mean you don't get any power out(most use DC to DC converters to pull power for other rails from the 12V). But this may not be the case for your PSU.