cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking M8F + 6700K using LLC Level 6

deybdeybdeyb
Level 7
Hi All,

As some of you may already read some of my post wherein I encountered 2 PSU failures from my M8H build. Ended up having 2 Rigs (M8H and M8F), and afraid to do OC for a while.

So now I'm trying to push my Rigs again. For my M8F, I was able to configure and stabilize the following settings:

4.5 @ 1.265v / 4.5 Cache / LLC Level Auto
4.6 @ 1.320v / 4.5 Cache / LLC Level 5 / VCCIO and SA @ 1.18v
4.7 @ 1.365v / 4.5 Cache / LLC Level 5 / VCCIO and SA @ 1.18v

Since I have a custom loop water cooling, I believe there's still head room for 4.8Ghz. Using the same config as my 4.7Ghz except the Vcore. I did reach 1.44v but still unstable, so I'm thinking of setting my LLC level to 6 but I'm hesitating as I don't know if it can cause HW issues (because I already had enough HW issues haha).

Anyway, hope someone kind enough to confirm if its OK to put LLC at level 6. Note that if ever I reach 4.8Ghz this will not be used for 24/7. I intend to use this profile for video rendering and perhaps some games during cold season.

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

EasyLover
Level 8
1.44V is too much for my reckoning. If I were you, I would stick at 4.7 and call it a day. I was lucky to have a chip which reached 4.7 at 1.30 VCore but my current chip does not seem to do so.
Live your life the way you want, not the way others want!

deybdeybdeyb
Level 7
@EasyLover Thanks for the feedback. I completely agree. And yeah I read your thread as well... Hard to get lucky in the silicon lottery haha.

Anyway, after setting LLC to Level 6, I have a stable 4.8Ghz @ 1.41v / 4.5 Cache / VCCIO and SA @ 1.2v. BTW, when I say stable,its just my goofy stress test:
- 30 minutes under Prime95 v28.7 Min/Max FFT: 1344 with 15mins time to run. This is just to test highest temps for OC profile
- And 1 hour Realbench stress test.

Now, I'm not really sure what's the effect of putting LLC to level 6... I'm hoping someone can shed some light if LLC Level 6 is fine...

Nate152
Hi deybdeybdeyb

LLC at level 6 is fine, if you find the cpu core voltage is overshooting too much you can lower it. You can run the cpu cache the same speed as the core at 4.8Ghz.

You can run it there for 24/7 and you seem to have a very good 6700k, mine needs 1.52v just to be game stable at 4.8GHz. 1.52v is the max safe voltage and 64c is the max safe temp but you can take stress testing temps to 90c.

deybdeybdeyb
Level 7
Thank you very much Nate! As usual, I appreciate your informative feedback. Stress testing my 4.8 I see temp spiking to 84 but averaging to 78C. I guess I can still push this to 4.9Ghz but I may wait for the cold season.

BTW, forgot to update you in my M8F build, here are some of pics I posted from another forum:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1587375/asus-rog-maximus-viii-formula-owner-s-thread/50#post_25159757

Thank you again.

Nate152
Hey thanks for the pics that's an awesome pc and very clean, no cable clutter.

Did you plan on incorporating the crosschill block into your loop?

deybdeybdeyb
Level 7
Hi @Nate152, sorry for not replying soon. Thank you. 🙂

And yeah I plan to add it to loop. I'm just waiting for some budget to get a hydrocopper for 980ti but since 1080 is now out, i might wait for a poseidon or hydrocopper 1080 Ti and then add the vrm block in the loop. Hehe

Nate152
Yeah I gotcha, the 980 Ti is a good gpu for 1440p and will do you well until the 1080 Ti comes. I'd do the same wait for the 1080 Ti hydrocopper then add the crosschill block with it, all the tubing will be the same color too.

You have a nice pc now but it will look even nicer once you do that. 🙂