cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 FE + G20AJ = Short Summary

Paul_Jandali
Level 7
For all those curious to swap their GPU with a GTx 1080 FE, here you go:

1) Building in the card is really easy, everything is as it should be.

Just one thing: An 8-pin cable is required. If you're running a GTX 980 or better, yet, you should find such a cable inside, yet. Otherwise get one online, it's cheap.

2) Driver install is nicely working as long as you're running a regular and up to date consumer version. On N LTSB the driver refused being installed. Don't know another fix so just made it fresh and period.

3) The performance gain compared to a GTX980 is absolutely awesome...... OMG!!! Mind-Blowing, totally mind-blowing.

4) No power consumption issues at all here up to now, even with highest demanding games like ACU, GTA V, Witcher 3 etc. all on UHD and nearly maxed out.

5) Loudness is comparable to the GTX 980, for me even better since the noise seems to be more comfortable in my ears and brain.

Conclusion: This is a full strike, a deep hit. Couldn't be better. I'm so happy about it. Wow! Titan X or Ti users should be careful since the gain will be significantly less impressive....
29 REPLIES 29

WarpGuN
Level 7
Paul.Jandali wrote:

Just one thing: An 8-pin cable is required. If you're running a GTX 980 or better, yet, you should find such a cable inside, yet. Otherwise get one online, it's cheap.

2) Driver install is nicely working as long as you're running a regular and up to date consumer version. On N LTSB the driver refused being installed. Don't know another fix so just made it fresh and period.

3) The performance gain compared to a GTX980 is absolutely awesome...... OMG!!! Mind-Blowing, totally mind-blowing.

4) No power consumption issues at all here up to now, even with highest demanding games like ACU, GTA V, Witcher 3 etc. all on UHD and nearly maxed out.

5) Loudness is comparable to the GTX 980, for me even better since the noise seems to be more comfortable in my ears and brain.

Conclusion: This is a full strike, a deep hit. Couldn't be better. I'm so happy about it. Wow! Titan X or Ti users should be careful since the gain will be significantly less impressive....

awesome :o;)

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah the gtx 1080 is 3 times better then then gtx 980 and twice better then the 980ti, glad your all sorted 🙂

happy gaming 🙂

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
Paul.Jandali wrote:

btw did you run the gtx 1080 o.k off the 250watt power brick or what are you using to power it?

Ravenholme
Level 7
i'm curious if the 230W can handle the card going max and overclock, if it can i'll easily switch my 330W Y90RR PSU back to the Asus one. and leave the Dell one as a backup.

My PNY card hasn't arrived yet as i think it might be one of the ones shipped later compared to Asus, Zotac & Gigabyte. I didn't go for those because I rather have a Lifetime Warantee 😛

hopefully i get my G***b**e GeForce GTX1080 Founders Edition tomorrow.
will post a update then with pictures (if i'm aloud to)

Ravenholme wrote:
i'm curious if the 230W can handle the card going max and overclock, if it can i'll easily switch my 330W Y90RR PSU back to the Asus one. and leave the Dell one as a backup.

My PNY card hasn't arrived yet as i think it might be one of the ones shipped later compared to Asus, Zotac & Gigabyte. I didn't go for those because I rather have a Lifetime Warantee 😛

Well, the thing here is....

On 100% the GPU comes to 85C with a 67% fan speed and 1600Mhz Core. As it seems the 230W PSU can handle that perfectly well.
You can OC up 2-2,1Ghz with a 100% fans speed with a better PSU probably but that might heat up the whole system to a dangerous amount.
And the fan is not so quiet at 67% anymore. It´s okay for me but I am not sure if it´s worth that loudness and power consumption, honestly.

You can play any game on very high and even higher settings 4k very nicely on 40-60FPS, I don´t see no reason to OC for now. And the differences from very high to higher or ultra are barely if not noticeable at all.
(btw GTA V is running ultra, 4k about 45-50FPS, just wo MSAA and looks damned beautiful)

Hmmm.... Maybe I´ll buy a Y90RR .... Is this really fully compatible ? Just to be sure....

Here u go!

not much hassle just remember where the screws are 😛
haven't played much (need to work some) but i tried witcher 3 @ 1440p all max without hairworks, seems to run fine @ 60fps... need to try more later this evening.

Paul.Jandali wrote:
Well, the thing here is....

On 100% the GPU comes to 85C with a 67% fan speed and 1600Mhz Core. As it seems the 230W PSU can handle that perfectly well.
You can OC up 2-2,1Ghz with a 100% fans speed with a better PSU probably but that might heat up the whole system to a dangerous amount.
And the fan is not so quiet at 67% anymore. It´s okay for me but I am not sure if it´s worth that loudness and power consumption, honestly.

You can play any game on very high and even higher settings 4k very nicely on 40-60FPS, I don´t see no reason to OC for now. And the differences from very high to higher or ultra are barely if not noticeable at all.
(btw GTA V is running ultra, 4k about 45-50FPS, just wo MSAA and looks damned beautiful)

Hmmm.... Maybe I´ll buy a Y90RR .... Is this really fully compatible ? Just to be sure....

yeah the Y90RR is compatible i've been using it for the past year it'll just look odd with the 180W in the bracket all by itself… lol (i took the 230W out and put it in a box)

Just popped a GTX 1080 Founders in and haven't really pushed anything since its only been in for a few minutes. Just had a few questions if anyone can answer....
I preordered a EVGA SC 1080 since Nvidia really messed up my order but I read the vapor chamber in the founders is better for smaller computers. I cant get any diagram on how it actually works it the fan blowing in to the GPU or pushing air out to the top of the vent? Truly better in a smaller case?
Did anyone change fan speeds or anything?
Not planning to overclock right now so everything I've read is the 230W should be fine so shouldn't worry right now about the y90rr?
Whats the best system monitor to use for heat etc?
Thanks in advance