cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sound card,

XBrookieX
Level 7
I know this been asked loads of times, but is it worth a sound card as the Rampage V options using just optics are poor.
my old computer using creative SoundBlaster x fi I was able to change effects through optic on one control panel, since win10 the audio is ok but not great.
would placing a Sound card effect the x16 bandwidth to the Graphics cards or SSD's?
Did win Redstone make it better or is ASUS working on better drivers for win 10 Anniversary upgrade?
SPDIf is clearly the best for getting the developers accurate sound over digital,
but the sound from music files and webpages is C*** on 5.1set ups, hence reason nice to adjust with simplicity.
thanks on any advice or experiences. (bought motherboard expecting great sound from supreme FX yet so far disappointed)
10 REPLIES 10

Nonny
Level 10
XBrookieX wrote:
I know this been asked loads of times, but is it worth a sound card as the Rampage V options using just optics are poor.
my old computer using creative SoundBlaster x fi I was able to change effects through optic on one control panel, since win10 the audio is ok but not great.
would placing a Sound card effect the x16 bandwidth to the Graphics cards or SSD's?
Did win Redstone make it better or is ASUS working on better drivers for win 10 Anniversary upgrade?
SPDIf is clearly the best for getting the developers accurate sound over digital,
but the sound from music files and webpages is C*** on 5.1set ups, hence reason nice to adjust with simplicity.
thanks on any advice or experiences. (bought motherboard expecting great sound from supreme FX yet so far disappointed)

I had a x-fi before also but the update bug was scraching me AGAIN so i got a ZxR soundblaster , works great BUT the controls are way different then the x-fi ! and to use
3D-EAX and Direct 3D game sound works here over Alchemie a program what is includet in the support CD or on Driver page , it took me a little moment to find the "Corect"
setting with this card because the controll software is a way different then x-fi but now videos and musik are great , better then x-fi titanium , more difined and clear sound
, so i belive , in game over Alchemie good sound , but like i say the first time i installed the software i didnt get the logic of the new controll panel from the ZxR it takes a moment
but now after all i would recomend this card sound realy good. Driver works on windows 10 and so fare i had no trouble with this card , no sound driver crash or system hang ups.

SORRY for my English ! But still i hope it helps a little bit

Greetings

Nonny

linxeye
Level 8
Hey there,

Onboard audio sucks those days on motherboard. Whatever fancy audio features they claim to have they fail to live up to my expectations. I personnally have a Sound Blaster Zx. It works fine under Windows 10, provides DTS and DDL encoding and has features that I get used to like Cristalyzer. I'd definitely recommend a Sound Blaster Zx. The driver interface is a little weird but that's OK. Note that you can go for external sound card like the Sound Blaster X7 but that uses USB and it's pricey.

malone209
Level 7
Hey there,

I def recommend getting a sound card. I personally have the soundblaster zxr, couldn't be happier 🙂

GoNz0-
Level 10
zxr here as well after being told by Raja that they are basically using false advertising to tell you the onboard can power a 150+ohm set of headphones when in fact it is bullsheet as the cans I have (150ohm) had no bass at all as they were not being driven properly.

GoNz0- wrote:
zxr here as well after being told by Raja that they are basically using false advertising to tell you the onboard can power a 150+ohm set of headphones when in fact it is bullsheet as the cans I have (150ohm) had no bass at all as they were not being driven properly.

Hello, With the Bass i had to play a lot with the "Switches" in the , well somehowe strange controll panel but now i have this under controll , but you are right in
the beginning i was surprised also a little but there is bass , it depends also what speacker/ headphones you use , or bass managemend can also be difficould , it took me a
good time to configurate this Card , i found the X-Fi more easy to use i have to agree .

Nonny

linxeye
Level 8
We're mocking Creative sense of UI and their strange CPL but what to say about the Realtek thingy skinned by Asus for its boards ? Frankly I'm not sure what's worst ! Special mention to the bathroom DSP ! Exquisite preset 😉

Vlada011
Level 10
SupremeFX is best onboard audio solution, but Strix Soar cost only 90 euro. I think I saw somewhere and for 85 euro.
Anyone could afford that and use long time. Some people changed their Sound Card probably only because they don't have PCI slots on motherboard any more.
That's long and good investment and enough for all speakers in price range... example50-300 euro.
It's good to know if your Sound Card die you have excellent onboard solution before new arrive.

is the onboard sound really that bad? Im rocking sennheiser game one and beyerdynamic DT770 150 Ohm, but i already feel a huge improvement from my previous onboard sound.

Im an audiophile though, and i gotta agree that the bass is a little weak - also, the SupremeFX EQ is pretty bad. will i get a better resolution and crispy sound with a good soundcard? i might go for the soundblaster ZxR

drop4205
Level 12
no issues with my onborad audio either here.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11