cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 950 pro boot times of 15-16 seconds on my g752vy normal?

syedsyazani
Level 7
Hello. I'm curious to know if my boot time of 15-16seconds on my g752vy is normal? I did a fresh uefi install on it. Sure it was faster than a hdd, but I heard others had gotten 8s. I still think 15s is too long for an ssd of this caliber and price. Any thoughts/remedies?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi syedsyazani That's not a bad time if it includes post self test to windows loading screen.

A few things to check that can slow your boot time.
The OS you have. W10 is faster than W7
Correct SATA port connection.
Number of drives and how they are configured.
Incorrect DIMM settings in Bios.
Bios settings. You can dispense with certain tests and configure for fast boot.
Settings in Samsung Magic for Rapid mode.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Julskey
Level 10
syedsyazani wrote:
Hello. I'm curious to know if my boot time of 15-16seconds on my g752vy is normal? I did a fresh uefi install on it. Sure it was faster than a hdd, but I heard others had gotten 8s. I still think 15s is too long for an ssd of this caliber and price. Any thoughts/remedies?

Thanks

Have you tried turning on Fast boot on Power Options>system settings (what does closing lid.... page)? I read somewhere before but I don't remember where. My G752VT w/ Samsung 850 EVO 250gb 2.5" ssd boots at about 18secs from power on to windows desktop. Now with Windows fastboot enabled, it boots at about 14 secs. You might also try disabling fastboot in bios to compare boot times. I found little or no difference at all with bios fast boot enabled or disabled.

syedsyazani
Level 7
For OS i have. W10. It should be in the correct port. Its an m.2 and i only have one installed so no raid, 950 set to ahci mode. 1HDD and 1SSD. I'm not sure about the dimm settings though. I do have fastboot on by default after the uefi fresh installation.
I can't turn on rapid mode in samsung magician. It says not supported? I have installed the NVME drivers from samsung and even got it to show up in the magician software.
Also i'm not too sure what to mess with in the bios settings.

My config:

G752VY, BIOS 213
2x 477GB M.2 NVMe Samsung 950 Pro SSD in RAID0
1x 2TB SATA3 Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Bluray RW ODD
Windows 10 64b Prof.
Latest drivers of everything

Cold boottime: 56 seconds, sometimes more. Depends on ..... ? RAID loading taking time, drivers loading, software that is installed, etc. etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gustave wrote:
My config:

G752VY, BIOS 213
2x 477GB M.2 NVMe Samsung 950 Pro SSD in RAID0
1x 2TB SATA3 Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Bluray RW ODD
Windows 10 64b Prof.
Latest drivers of everything

Cold boottime: 56 seconds, sometimes more. Depends on ..... ? RAID loading taking time, drivers loading, software that is installed, etc. etc.

I see. Thanks for your input. Was just wondering how others got 8s.

MeanMachine
Level 13
I have also been told that Samsung NVMe driver is better than the native Windows driver if that is what you have.
You can get it here: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
I have also been told that Samsung NVMe driver is better than the native Windows driver if that is what you have.
You can get it here: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279

Yup, that is what I did as well.

JustinThyme
Level 13
First thing is get to BIOS 213. 15-18 seconds is on par with anything before. Pretty sure that in and of itself will shorten your boot time, no other intervention needed.
Samsung drivers have ZERO advantage over the native windows NVMe drivers. Read around in the threads, particularly the one where BIOS 213 first came out. This has been proven multiple times. The samsung drivers also only work on consumer SSDs. They are not installed from the factory because they dont work on Samsung OEM drives. Same goes for the magician software.

My Config
G752VY BIOS 213
2x512GB 950 pros in RAID0
64GB RAM
1TB Samsung 850EVO
Factory Bluray
Windows 10 Pro from original factory image (upgraded from home edition)
Updated drivers
No Samsung software period, no magician or drivers.
Fast boot disabled both in BIOS and Windows. Fast boot causes more problems than anything else as your machine never does a full shut down. Its more of a hybrid hibernate. Dumps the contents of your memory to hiberfil.sys file then resumes from that. I don't like writing that much data to my SSDs repeatedly. Only shortens the lifespan with unnecessary writes.

Cold boot 10 seconds. I've heard stories of 8 seconds, 6 seconds etc. Ill but the 8 seconds on maybe but call Bull Sheet on 6 seconds.

You don't want Samsung rapid mode. It actually gives worse performance than leaving it as is. All it does is a hybrid ram drive and looks really good when doing benchmarks with small write clusters. Make the clusters bigger and it tanks hard. The performance will spike until the buffer is full then straight into the toilet.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I don't know how you get 10 seconds. I just changed settings according to your specifications. Boot after leaving setup: 85 seconds. AND, as ever, a Turbo Gear pop-up about a failed overclock. I get that all the time.

JustinThyme wrote:
First thing is get to BIOS 213. 15-18 seconds is on par with anything before. Pretty sure that in and of itself will shorten your boot time, no other intervention needed.
Samsung drivers have ZERO advantage over the native windows NVMe drivers. Read around in the threads, particularly the one where BIOS 213 first came out. This has been proven multiple times. The samsung drivers also only work on consumer SSDs. They are not installed from the factory because they dont work on Samsung OEM drives. Same goes for the magician software.

My Config
G752VY BIOS 213
2x512GB 950 pros in RAID0
64GB RAM
1TB Samsung 850EVO
Factory Bluray
Windows 10 Pro from original factory image (upgraded from home edition)
Updated drivers
No Samsung software period, no magician or drivers.
Fast boot disabled both in BIOS and Windows. Fast boot causes more problems than anything else as your machine never does a full shut down. Its more of a hybrid hibernate. Dumps the contents of your memory to hiberfil.sys file then resumes from that. I don't like writing that much data to my SSDs repeatedly. Only shortens the lifespan with unnecessary writes.

Cold boot 10 seconds. I've heard stories of 8 seconds, 6 seconds etc. Ill but the 8 seconds on maybe but call Bull Sheet on 6 seconds.

You don't want Samsung rapid mode. It actually gives worse performance than leaving it as is. All it does is a hybrid ram drive and looks really good when doing benchmarks with small write clusters. Make the clusters bigger and it tanks hard. The performance will spike until the buffer is full then straight into the toilet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]