cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Asus Thermal Control Tool

Qwinn
Level 11
Anyone played with this yet?

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/05/get-best-performance-broadwell-e-processors-asus-thermal-control-tool...

Looks pretty cool. Let's you have two overclocks, one for low temps and one for high temps. Compatible with Haswell-E.

I haven't experimented with it yet, and likely won't have time anytime soon, but if any of you gives it a shot, please post your results.
17 REPLIES 17

smokeintheeye
Level 11
hummmm very interesting. i have downloaded but iv just got up will read over it one or two times more see if i can get me head round it and report back a bit later. thanks for the info Qwinn.

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks

smokeintheeye
Level 11
am i right in saying that this is how the new Turbo Boost Technology 3.0 works on the Broadwell-E processors but this lets you do it on a Haswell-E with out needing to update to the new windows insider build?

smokeintheeye wrote:
am i right in saying that this is how the new Turbo Boost Technology 3.0 works on the Broadwell-E processors but this lets you do it on a Haswell-E with out needing to update to the new windows insider build?

No, it will not bring Turbo BOOST 3.0 to Haswell-E. That's something different.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
No, it will not bring Turbo BOOST 3.0 to Haswell-E. That's something different.

Hi Raja nice to see you back on the forum.

smokeintheeye wrote:
Hi Raja nice to see you back on the forum.

Was always here. Have to be selective about what I respond to as my time is very limited and I do not work in support - only North America techinical marketing. Had close ties to R&D for this tool, hence me responding to relevant questions.

red454
Level 11
I loaded it - seems to work. Too bad I can't modify the background to give it a nice ROG theme makeover...
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

red454 wrote:
I loaded it - seems to work. Too bad I can't modify the background to give it a nice ROG theme makeover...

Once setup, the GUI isn't needed as the service stores the settings. A moddable background has no practical use, as uptime for the GUI is minimal.

smokeintheeye
Level 11
Ok cool nice to know your still about. so lets see if iv got this right.

at the min i have 2 overclocks i use. 4.6ghz at 1.316vcore with 42 uncore and a 4.2ghz at 1.255vcore 42uncore

so i go in to bios and set it to Adaptive mode on the vcore at 1.295vcore with a 0.005 offset = 1.316vcore for 4.6ghz overclock. (was on full offset before)

then i go in to windows load the Asus Thermal Control Tool. now i set the Throttle Ratio to 42, now i get lost with the Upper Temp Limit and Lower Temp Limit. on the How to it says...

Upper Temp Limit: This defines the high-temperature threshold. When the CPU package temperature exceeds this value, the multiplier ratio and voltage will change to the values defined in the Throttle Ratio and Total Throttle Voltage boxes.

Lower Temp Limit: Defines the low-temperature threshold. When the CPU package temperature is under this value, the core ratio and voltage will return to the UEFI-applied overclock.

so if i have a lower limit of 40c and an upper of 70c what dose the cpu do with the 30c headroom from 40c to 70c? or am i missing something?

sorry if its a daft question but me heads not working right this morning lol

forgot to ask do i need C States on or off if on whats the best ones to use? or dose it not matter.

Qwinn
Level 11
smoke, if I'm reading it right, with your numbers you will be at 4.6 until your temp reaches 70c. Then it will go down to 4.2. It will stay at 4.2 as long as you are still above 40c. Once you hit 40c, you'll clock back up to 4.6.

Since 40c is pretty much completely idle, you probably want that number to be higher. I'd suggest something like 55-60c for the lower temp and 70-75c for the higher temp, if I've understood the article correctly.

Oh, and I suggest disabling C states altogether if you are on adaptive voltage. The additional power saving benefits you get from C states on top of adaptive is so trivial that it isn't worth the impact it has on stability.