cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Soar and video performance

tripleX002
Level 7
Hi all! Since I bought a Strix Soar a few weeks ago i've been noticing some significant drops in video card performance (such as low fps 20-30 down from 120-140 in bf4, frame stutters) and higher temps of the gpu.
Not sure if this is related but that's when i started having problems. The gpu is in the normal pcie_x16/x8_1 slot and the sound card is in the pciex1_3 slot.
Full specs:
mobo - maximus viii hero w/ bios 1402
cpu - 6700k w/ h100i
ram - 16gb corsair vengeance 4x4gb
gpu - gigabyte 970 g1 gaming
psu - rmx 650
sound card - asus strix soar
ssd - samsung 850 evo 250gb
windows 10 pro 64bit
Can anyone help with some info on this? maybe the sound card is in a pcie slot that shares lanes with the gpu...? i'm not sure on this.
5 REPLIES 5

MadHarlekin
Level 7
Hey,

i checked on the Intel-page and found this: Max # of PCI Express Lanes 16
I suspect your setup alone with the graphics-card is already on it's limit regarding PCI-E bandwith.
As soon as the Soar is also in there the CPU can't handle all the traffic and with that drops the performance hard.

Only a suspicion but if thats true I'm actually shocked that intel has such a bad setup regarding lanes on a higher Tier CPU.

i knew the cpu had 16 lanes but i also heard the mobo chipset offers 4 more...not sure which pcie slots are from the mobo chipset though

I highly doubt its your Video card eating up anything. There are SOUND CARDS out there that LOVE to eat FPS. I dont know about the Soar.. I know the UISB 2 chip it uses other then that. Take out the GPU. Test just with Intel then stick the sound card it. If you lose 20+.. no matter how much you paid you will know IF its a cheep card. Unless you cant test with the INTEL.. test with a older GPU

Jagdseelen
Level 8
A Intel i7-6700k has 16 lanes and a Z170 motherboard has 4 lanes. For a total of 20 lanes.

Also a Nvidia GTX 970 only really requires 8x PCIE 3 lanes or 16x PCIE 2 lanes and still function at about 95% performance or higher.

As for the motherboard lanes. They are normally used by the last slot on the motherboard.

hiong
Level 8
incorrect information on PCIe lanes. the 6700K has 16 lanes, and the Z170 chipset has 20, for a total of 36. The 2 grey x16 length PCIE slots on your motherboard connects to the 16 CPU lanes, while the rest of the peripherals connect to the Z170's.