cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Update from 1902 to 3101 big Problems - BIOS dead?

bernisv
Level 7
Hello,

i tried to update my BIOS from 1902 to 3101 and after that, i couldn't geht in the BIOS anymore. The Display remained dark till the Windows Login-Screen. The Boot-Time was very long. Nothing helped, also flashback to the old version didn't resolve the Problem. Still no Display-Output, till the Windows Login-Screen. So i have activated the second BIOS and all was ok. After that, i have copied the second BIOS to the first, to resolve the Problem...... And now: the first BIOS isn't functional completely anymore. Qcode 00 from the start - no other Qcodes are displayed. A few seconds after the start with 00, the PC reboots forhimself and ran immediately in the same 00 Code, and so on.

Nothing helped anymore: flashback, second try to copy BIOS 2 to the non functional BIOS 1, etc.

Can someone give me an advise please?

Greetings Berni
MB: Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X (@4,2 / Adaptive Voltage 1,23V)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 (32GB-Kit 2666-15-15-15-35 @1,2V)
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X Superclocked and Geforce 480 GTX
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
M2: Samsung XP941
SSD: 2 x Samsung 840 pro
HD: HGST He8 8TB
Display: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Keyboard: Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse: Steelseries Sensei MLG Edition/ Zowie ZA12

CPU and GPUs watercooled
11 REPLIES 11

Qwinn
Level 11
Which flashback method are you using? I recommend the one on page 2-14 of the manual, which can be performed with the computer turned off.

Griever
Level 7
I had completely corrupted both of my bioses a few weeks ago and nothing would work. Finally, I used the method Qwinn is referring to (I think). I put 2101 on a usb flash drive and used that method. That enabled me to get into my bios, but it still wasn't quite "right". I then used EZflash2 and all was back to normal. I still think the copy bios1 to bios2 function is a bit buggy and anyone should use it with caution.

Qwinn
Level 11
I am still wondering what the effect would be if you tried to copy BIOS 1 to 2, where one of them was a pre-3000 BIOS and the other was a post 3000 BIOS, or even just switching from one BIOS to the other under the same circumstances. This is because of the firmware updates that the post 3000 BIOS's do (MEI firmware and something else, I think). Is everything in those firmware updates, including whatever it's updatng during the two extra restarts that happen when you update to post-3000, completely contained within it's own BIOS chip? If not, then you could wind up having parts of a 3000 updated MEI firmware running tandem with a pre-3000 BIOS, or vice versa. And even if it does, is the copy function taking all the steps that updating to the 3000 BIOS does in terms of those firmwares, such as whatever it's doing during the two extra restarts?

I did a copy of 3101 from BIOS 1 to BIOS 2 after I got it working. There was only one reboot involved. I have not tried actually booting off it yet, and I'm a bit nervous to.

Qwinn wrote:
I am still wondering what the effect would be if you tried to copy BIOS 1 to 2, where one of them was a pre-3000 BIOS and the other was a post 3000 BIOS, or even just switching from one BIOS to the other under the same circumstances. This is because of the firmware updates that the post 3000 BIOS's do (MEI firmware and something else, I think). Is everything in those firmware updates, including whatever it's updatng during the two extra restarts that happen when you update to post-3000, completely contained within it's own BIOS chip? If not, then you could wind up having parts of a 3000 updated MEI firmware running tandem with a pre-3000 BIOS, or vice versa. And even if it does, is the copy function taking all the steps that updating to the 3000 BIOS does in terms of those firmwares, such as whatever it's doing during the two extra restarts?

I honestly don't have a clue if that's actually the case, but it worries me.

Qwinn, I think you are on to something here. Because even flashing back to 2101 after 3101 I am still having random reboots. I could be online gaming for a few hours and then out of no where a reboot.

I am going to check the event logs and see whats up, I will post what I find.

Qwinn
Level 11
From my own experiences, as well as what I've read from others, if you cross the 3000 BIOS barrier in either direction (triggering the firmware updates), you should reflash your destination BIOS an extra time so that your BIOS is updated without having to go through that process. I went back and forth at least 3 or 4 times, I didn't always notice any issues after, but I did twice, and reapplying the bios over itself resolved it both times.

I am going to try this this evening, would you suggest that I try with 3101 or flash back to 2101?

drop4205
Level 12
Id go back to 2001 or 2101.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Griever
Level 7
Qwinn is on to something. I haven't had luck having 2 usable bioses where one is pre-3000 and the other is post-3000. Whenever I try to switch between the two, updates are made that affect the other bios (probably the firmwares). Conversely, when I have both bioses pre or both post-3000, I'm able to freely switch between the two. I may have worded this post a little weird. I'll be happy to clarify if needed.

Qwinn
Level 11
Niteshaft, I personally like 3101 very much. To the people who do not like 3101 because they've been having problems - *this very much may be the reason why*. If you only flashed it once before and had reboots/problems, try flashing it twice, once to copy the firmware and the second to get the rest of it to flash properly.