Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with freezing PC after I5 6600K OC on VIII Ranger

YellowFlash
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I need some help with my i5 6600k that I OCed using this guide on youtube:

https://youtu.be/A0zy1TEMiOQ

I followed every step in this guide using my tablet. Everything went well until my pc just froze after a couple of days... I thought this wasn't because of the OC but maybe just an one time freeze. I kept using my pc and a couple days later it happened again while playing Dota 2, again while watching a movie and again when I was just chatting in the LOL game client (all on different days).
The PC just freezes, sounds freezes too... I don't get a BSOD! The monitor just stays on, showing everything I was doing. I needed to hard reset the pc everytime.
After that I thought maybe it is the OC, so I went back in the bios and reverted back to stock settings. After that no freezes for days, so I decided to use the ASUS CPU gaming option that automatic overclocks the CPU. After weeks I didn't had any freezes or whatever.

The thing is that I want to get more out of my 6600k. Is the guide I followed bad? What are good manual OC settings for a 6600K on a Z170 VIII Ranger MB? What are good stresstesting programs because I used prime 95, cpu-z and realtemp to monitor the cpu. So could you guys help me out and give me some tips? Thanks in advance!

Specs:

NZXT 410 case -
ASUS Z170 ROG Maximus VIII Ranger -
INTEL I5 6600k -
Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler -
Gigabyte GTX 650 TI OC 2GB (planning to upgrade this year to Polaris/Pascal, still waiting for user benchmarks) -
Corsair Vengeance LPX - 2x 8gb ( in slot 1 and 3) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14)
Samsung ssd 840 pro 128gb -
Samsung hdd HD322HJ 300gb -
Samsung hdd HD501LJ 500gb -
Seagate Barracuda hdd ST31000528AS 1tb -
ASUS VX239H-W Full HD IPS monitor #1 -
BENQ FP222W 22" LCD monitor #2 -
Be quiet! Pure Power L8 630w -

Cheers!

[EDIT] Forgot to show what RAM I used in my RIG so added it.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hello YellowFlash

Welcome to the ROG forum.

It's likely either your cpu needs a little more voltage or your ram is unstable.

Try using the ROG realbench stress test.

http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

What ram kit do you have?

Hello Nate152,

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry forgot to add my RAM in the specs.

My RAM in my rig is:

Corsair Vengeance LPX
2x 8gb ( in slot 1 and 3)
DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz
C14 Memory Kit - Black
CMK16GX4M2A2400C14

Nate152
Thank You

Reset to defaults and set your ram to its rated specs then run a stress test to see if it's stable, we need to find if it's the ram or the cpu that's causing the freezing.

Try using the ROG realbench stress test, you should have lower temps with it.

If it passes the stress test proceed to overclock your cpu again. All cpu's are not created equal so settings that work for one may not work for another.

Hi again,

Thanks for the tips I will definitely do that. But now I got a problem with Realbench... I downloaded the file but when I try to start it I receive an error!

Not enough available memory. Install more RAM, increase size of pagefile, or select a smaller RAM preset.

Duration: 1 Hour
Memory: Up to 16GB RAM

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K - Speed:4500.0 MHz - Multi:45.0 - Bus:100.0 MHz
RAM:1066.7 MHz (1:16) - 16GB - 15-15-15-36-2T
MB:MAXIMUS VIII RANGER - FW:1601 - Desktop
GPU1:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Now if I select 4GB or 8GB the benchmark starts... So I think it's a RAM failure or am I wrong?

I can't upload JPG screenshot either while using Chrome... getting this message when I try to upload a JPG to this thread:

Rog.asus.com meldt het volgende:
The following errors occured:
realbench.jpg: Upload of file failed.

size: 101 KB
802 x 607

Nate152
Yeah there's a problem with the forum at the moment, I can't upload pictures either.

Try the 15 minute test with 8GB of ram selected.

Hi Nate,

Started a test with stock settings and everything went fine. After that I started a test with my OC profile I saved and this went well too. I used Core Temp to monitor the temps on each core. Highest max temp was 60C on Core #1 and lowest max temp was 50C on core #2

So no freezing and no other errors... Do you have any other ideas that would help me find out about why my pc Freezes?

Nate152
It could have just been on the edge of stability, if the freezing occurs again try upping the cpu voltage a little.

Your temps are great, you can try for a higher overclock if you like. Stress testing temps are fine up to 90c but for everyday 24/7 max safe temp is 64c.

So as long as your gaming temps are 64c or below you're fine. Or you can let it where it is and play some games for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips and info Nate. I really appreciate your help! Last thing I wanna ask you. If i up the voltage a bit what is max voltage to use before I hit the danger zone?

Nate152
1.52v is the max safe voltage, if you go over that you should get a cpu overvoltage message.