ROG Member Array

Some Software on Asus Hero VIII Motherboard Support DVD Causes Autoplay Problem

Hello,

A few days ago I posted a thread regarding autoplay not working - I have now traced the problem to some software that is installed from the motherboard (Hero VIII) support DVD that was supplied with the motherboard.

I was going to carry out a fresh install of Windows 7, but I noticed that I had a restore point created before I installed the motherboards DVD software, when autoplay was working.

I used this restore point, re-started the computer and now Autostart would work OK, i.e. music CD's started Media Player and software DVD's brought up the window to choose what I wanted to do.

I then re-nstalled the motherboard support DVD and on completion autoplay would work, but the computer needed to do a restart.

After the restart autoplay would not work again....

I then noticed that a few install points had been created by the install, the last one being a Windows Critical Update. This was shown as removing the following programs and drivers:-

Intel(R) Management Engine Components 11.0.0.1163 (Program)
    Intel (System) 07/28/2015 11.0.0.1160 (Driver)
    Intel Corporation (HDC) 07/27/2015 14.6.0.1029 (Driver)
    Kernal-Mode Driver Framework v-1.11 (KB2685811) (Windows Update)

I restored the computer to that restore point, re-started and tested again.

Autoplay now works OK, so it looks like one of the items above was the problem.

What I am wondering now - are any of the removed programs/drivers important and likely to cause problems in the future ?

Just what does the Intel program and drivers do ?

Is the Microsoft update vital to correct operation of the computer ?

If anyone could offer advice on this I would be most grateful as I don't want to continue installing software if I am likely to have problems in the future.

Up to this point I have not enabled windows updates as I don't want to get bothered by Windows 10.

Regards,

Nick.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array brkkab123 PC Specs
    brkkab123 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 6600K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 32GBs
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 OC 8GB
    Sound CardOnboard sound
    MonitorLG 25UM58-P
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB m.2
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB SATA & W.D. Black 2.0TB
    CPU CoolerEK Water Blocks EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1 w/push/pull add-on fans kit
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
    Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X530 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear WNDR 3700
    Accessory #1 Logitech c615 HD Webcam
    Accessory #2 Seagate Backup Desk 3.0TB
    Accessory #3 Logitech U920 Driving Force Racing Wheel/Logitech Driving Force Shifter/GT Omega Wheel Stand

Cool Don't install from that dvd

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Hello,
    A few days ago I posted a thread regarding autoplay not working - I have now traced the problem to some software that is installed from the motherboard (Hero VIII) support DVD that was supplied with the motherboard.

I was going to carry out a fresh install of Windows 7, but I noticed that I had a restore point created before I installed the motherboards DVD software, when autoplay was working.

I used this restore point, re-started the computer and now Autostart would work OK, i.e. music CD's started Media Player and software DVD's brought up the window to choose what I wanted to do.

I then re-nstalled the motherboard support DVD and on completion autoplay would work, but the computer needed to do a restart.

After the restart autoplay would not work again....

I then noticed that a few install points had been created by the install, the last one being a Windows Critical Update. This was shown as removing the following programs and drivers:-

Intel(R) Management Engine Components 11.0.0.1163 (Program)
    Intel (System) 07/28/2015 11.0.0.1160 (Driver)
    Intel Corporation (HDC) 07/27/2015 14.6.0.1029 (Driver)
    Kernal-Mode Driver Framework v-1.11 (KB2685811) (Windows Update)

I restored the computer to that restore point, re-started and tested again.

Autoplay now works OK, so it looks like one of the items above was the problem.

What I am wondering now - are any of the removed programs/drivers important and likely to cause problems in the future ?

Just what does the Intel program and drivers do ?

Is the Microsoft update vital to correct operation of the computer ?

If anyone could offer advice on this I would be most grateful as I don't want to continue installing software if I am likely to have problems in the future.

Up to this point I have not enabled windows updates as I don't want to get bothered by Windows 10.

Regards,

Nick.
    The drivers & software on that dvd is from August, 2015. Never use it, unless Asus's website doesn't have it listed. Here's Asus's link for the Maximus VIII Hero for Windows 7 x64. http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/...Desk_Download/ Also, for the Intel software/drivers check Intel's website for it, too. Asus, sucks at listing 3rd party driver updates on their site.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Looks like the Intel MEI driver. Try getting a more updated version from the Intel website.

ROG Member Array

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver is the problem

As I had a number of errors listed in Device Manager relating to Intel Management Interface I reinstalled the software for that from the DVD.

That cured the errors (no driver installed) and Device Manager showed no more errors.

Autoplay still works OK>

The last item to reinstall was Intel Rapid Storage technology from the DVD.

This stopped autoplay from working.

Removed Intel Rapid Storage technology by using a restore point I had created and autoplay working again, so the culprit has been positively identified.

Question:

Do I need Intel Rapid Storage technology at all ?

I have the following drives in my system:-

1. Samsung SM951 M2 (AHCI Version 256GByte) for Windows 7 OS.
    2. SanDisk 256GByte SSD
    3. 2 off Seagate 2TByte HD's
    4. 2 off Asus DRW-24F1MT DVD Re-writers.

I am not using RAID.

If it is required or useful I can't work out where to get a later version from - the one on the DVD is version 14.6.0.1029

The Asus download seems to be an older version than that on the supplied DVD, if I have looked at the correct item that is.

The Intel site has that many options I have no idea where to start looking.

Regards,

Nick.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3883MHz 16-17- 17-37-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPCP&C Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse ROG Chakram Core
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    Mouse Pad Steelseries QCK Prism XL
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi NickG

You can skip the intel rapid storage technology driver I don't install it either.