cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't decide what to do -- PLEASE HELP ME OUT

jbhowlesr
Level 7
Good afternoon gang. This constitutes my first post and I would like to reach to get some opinions on what I should do concerning a planned upgrade. You see, I have a bout $650 bucks available to do an upgrade and I am not sure which direction I should go. To be upfront, my main uses are gaming and online school work for my second Bachelor's degree; most of my class involve programming in code. Another occasional use for my system is muxing and remixing videos. Currently, I am running on a complete rig that I built and I have a half of a rig under my desk. So what I would like to do is detail both of them then put my some things down I am considering. If anyone has feedback or suggestions, please feel free to post a reply.

My Running rig consists of a:
Asus X99-A Motherboard
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3ghz 6 Core CPU
32gb (8x 4gb) Crucial Vengeance LPX DDR4 Ram
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 FTW 4GB GPU
SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 SSD
WD 1TB Black Drive
Corsair AX860 Platinum PSU
Corsair H80i GT Cooler
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case

My half rig consists of a:
Giga-Byte Z170MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Intel Core i3 6320 3.9ghz 2 core CPU
Thermaltake V21 Case

Moving on, I can't make up my mind what I want to do because I want the most bang for my buck. Obviously an upgrade isn't needed but I usually do some sort of upgrade every 6 to 9 months.

On one hand, considering the x99 refresh and the features of the new boards, I am looking at picking up an x99-a II motherboard and a GeForce GTX 1070 founder edition and waiting till the 6th gen broadwell CPU's come out and picking up a i7 6800k

On the other hand, because I would like if my build was a little smaller, am considering picking up a i7-6700k and the same GeForce 1070 founders card and building up the half built rig under my desk with parts from my X99 rig.

the last direction I am considering going is buying the top end z170 ROG MAXIMUS Formula or MAXIMUS EXTREME or Z170 DELUXE and a Geforce GTX 1070 founders edition GPU while using the i3-6320 for the time being. Essentially setting aside the half built machine to later upgrade my wife's computer and replace my x99 rig all together.

So group, I want to know which direction everyone thinks I should go... Quite a pickle. I am so torn on what to do. I love and prefer big computing power but I am
fool for some motherboard bells and whistles...lol. I am a man and I love eye candy. I should also mention that I am up for suggestions beyond what I am posted.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello jbhowlesr

Depending on what parts are in your wife's pc I might get the gtx 1070 or gtx 1080 for your x99 machine and move the 960 to your half rig and use parts from your wife's machine to finish off your half rig and give to her. 🙂

If she's a gamer the i3-6320 and gtx 960 will likely struggle even at 1080p with new titles, if she just plays games like facebook games it would be perfect. 🙂

jbhowlesr
Level 7
I have considered what you are saying over the last few weeks. Frankly though, the 1080 card is out of reach for me but the 1070 i can work so i have pretty much decided to buy one. Still not sure what to do with the rest. My wife's machine is a z97 based box and I think the z170 would be a good fit for her but i would have to buy more DDR4 to fill the board in my half built box. So, do you think it will be worth it to buy a new x99 motherboard?

drop4205
Level 12
buy an i5 6500 cpu for the z170 board and a 1070 for your x99 and put 960 on z170 board
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Nate152
Well if you're limited on funds I would say no to another x99 board, you can get a fast 16GB ddr4 ram kit for under $100.00.

G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231926&cm_re=tridentz-_-20-231-926-_-Produc...

jbhowlesr
Level 7
Well as stated in my original post, I have about $650 to spend. I mainly want to make my machine as current as possible and considering my x99-a revision 1 motheboard and the z170 board that is installed in the half build machine, they are or gonna be out dated by the end of the year. One consideration I have for my desktop has been PCIe lanes because I sometime piece together and SLi. This makes me lean a little toward buying the x99a-II board that asus just released as well as a 1070. The combined total of which is somewhere in the neighborhood of $650. I guess the bottom line to my question of what to do is what's going to be the most worth it for my desktop. The wife's upgrade can come a little later. If I went this way, aside from the feature differences between the x99-a and the x99a-II, is it worth it to buy that motherboard?

Or would I be better off buying a top notch z170 and 1070 while utilizing the parts I have for my machine?