cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 - serious battery issue

radicalone4
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I've noticed that the battery of my G751 can sometimes fail to charge. For example, the battery percentage can be stuck at 15% and Windows 10 will tell me that it is "Not Charging." The battery indicator will also begin to blink orange.

This usually happens after the following:

1. Charge the laptop to 100%
2. Use high performance applications (gaming) that drain the battery VERY quickly, like Crysis 3 or even Minecraft. Also remember 100% brightness.
3. Wait until the battery percentage goes below 30% or so.
4. Plug in the AC adapter. Windows 10 will say that the battery is "Not Charging."

The thing is, after like 30 minutes or so, the battery will start charging again. Also, if I use light applications, it will always charge.

I am ASSUMING that the battery was overheating after a long period of using high performance applications, and therefore didn't charge to prevent damage.

I am not sure if this is normal behavior or not. Is anyone else having this problem? Should I RMA the device?
2 REPLIES 2

cloakndagger085
Level 7
I would run HWINFO and check out the battery it sounds like the wear level is high and no longer going to hold a good charge. The blinking
orange light is just saying the battery isnt taking a charge. With my old g73 i had to replace the DC jack and new battery. after doing that it works fine now.
This isnt an everyday task though it can be a pain to repair the jack if you have a warranty i would check on that.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Firstly you lose performance running intensive apps on battery only. This will also shorten its lifespan.
Yes its perfectly normal for it to not charge for some time until the battery cools down. That is a function of the charging circuit to prevent thermal runaway and an ensuing fire in lithium polymer batteries.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein