cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Code 04 or D4

wh1sper
Level 7
I have very random freezes (1-3 times a week) that happen ONLY when I am playing some game (never when doing something in Windows). When the computer freezes, there is no sound loop or anything, it's just completely irresponsive. The reset button does not work and I must turn off the computer holding the power button for a few seconds. This has been happening since day 1.

When I took a look inside last night, I saw that the mobo showed code 04 or D4 (no difference between the two).

Complete specs:

PSU: Seasonic X Series SS-850KM 850W
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VIII (latest BIOS)
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL14
GPU: Asus GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II OC Edition
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB

Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z @ 144 Hz
Headphones: SteelSeries Siberia v2 CS:GO Edition
Sound: Asus Xonar U7
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown
Mouse: SteelSeries Kana V2

I have not OC'd anything. Mobo, CPU and RAM are only a few months old.

Any suggestions/solutions?
48 REPLIES 48

Subsider
Level 7
code 04 has to do with PCH initialization and D4 has to do with PCI resource allocation . Id think the first 2 things id try is removing , cleaning and reinstalling video drivers and setting PCH voltage manually in the bios . 1.050v should do . Also take a look at the FCLK setting in the bios default is Auto which = 800 . true standard is 1k (1000) you could also try setting this to a set value manually . I would try the 1000 first ...... Or put back to Auto if you've already tried setting manually . this is assuming you are confident in your psu and you have eliminated it from suspect and GPU temps are in line .

Subsider wrote:
code 04 has to do with PCH initialization and D4 has to do with PCI resource allocation . Id think the first 2 things id try is removing , cleaning and reinstalling video drivers and setting PCH voltage manually in the bios . 1.050v should do . Also take a look at the FCLK setting in the bios default is Auto which = 800 . true standard is 1k (1000) you could also try setting this to a set value manually . I would try the 1000 first ...... Or put back to Auto if you've already tried setting manually . this is assuming you are confident in your psu and you have eliminated it from suspect and GPU temps are in line .

As far as I've seen, the GPU temps are in line. I had a defective PSU, the symptoms were different (will test it last if I have to). I turned off fast boot in BIOS, so I'm waiting for the next freeze. Gonna run memtest and try your advice next.

Chino
Level 15

Ok, so the freeze happened again. Like I said earlier, I turned fast boot off in BIOS and waited for it. The code is now 02 (?!) - AP initialization before microcode loading. Is it possible for the Q-code to change after turning fast boot off? Or is it possibly a faulty motherboard?

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock default. Report back your results when you can.

I will try that now.

Well it's been almost a week (not counting today yet) and I think it's safe to say the problem is gone. Since the only serious thing that was changed in BIOS settings (not counting disabling of the onboard sound card) prior to the stock defaults are the RAM settings (using XMP profile), that was probably causing the problem. Or not?

Suggestions Chino?

TheRiwen
Level 7
whlsper

I did have that problem. Did change my memory and the problem was gone. Is you memory ver 3.2 ?

TheRiwen wrote:
whlsper

I did have that problem. Did change my memory and the problem was gone. Is you memory ver 3.2 ?

Where do I check that?

EDIT: Checked inside, version 3.20.